Maximum velocity for a piston in simple harmonic motion.

In summary, the problem asks to find the maximum velocity of a piston in an automobile engine, given its amplitude and mass, when the engine is running at a rate of 3220 rev/min. Using the equation Vt = - w A sin(wt), where w is the angular speed and A is the amplitude, the maximum velocity can be calculated by finding the maximum on a graph of the equation. However, it is important to note that the given angular speed is in rev/min, so it must be converted to radians per second before plugging it into the equation. This will give the final answer in meters per second.
Runaway

Homework Statement

A piston in an automobile engine is in simple
harmonic motion. Its amplitude of oscillation
from the equilibrium (centered) position is
±6.87 cm and its mass is 1.472 kg.
Find the maximum velocity of the piston
when the auto engine is running at the rate of
3220 rev/min.
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

Vt = - w A sin(wt)
w = (2 pi)/T
A = amplitude
T= period
t=time point

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using graphing -2 Pi/(1/3220) * 0.0687m sin ((2pi/(1/3220)*t) (with x substituted in for t), then finding the maximum on my calculator, and I got 1390, which my online assignment says is the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Runaway said:
I tried using graphing -2 Pi/(1/3220) * 0.0687m sin ((2pi/(1/3220)*t) (with x substituted in for t), then finding the maximum on my calculator, and I got 1390, which my online assignment says is the wrong answer.
The given angular speed is 3220 rev/min.

But are you trying to calculate the velocity in meters per minute, or meters per second? If its m/s (as the problem statement directs you to express your answer), you'll need to convert from minutes to seconds somewhere.

I feel really stupid right about now... thanks for the help though. :)

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth along a straight line, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. What is the maximum velocity for a piston in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum velocity for a piston in simple harmonic motion is the velocity at the point of maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. This occurs when the restoring force is at its maximum and the object is accelerating towards the equilibrium position.

3. What is the equation for maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The equation for maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion is vmax = Aω, where A is the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) and ω is the angular frequency of the motion.

4. How does the mass of the piston affect the maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The mass of the piston does not affect the maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion. The maximum velocity is only dependent on the amplitude and angular frequency of the motion, not the mass of the object.

5. What factors can affect the maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion can be affected by the amplitude, angular frequency, and any external forces acting on the object. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in reducing the maximum velocity.