1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell equation, magnnetic induction field question?

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using "del cross B = u0J to deduce the magnetic induction field inside a long straight circular coil with 1000 turns per meter, carrying a current of 1A.

2. Relevant equations
    Included in the question???

3. The attempt at a solution

I am struggling with this, it is the second (although self contained) part to another question. A tip would be enormously appretiated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2
    anyone? please....

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4
    Hey thanks for replying. I have looked at that wiki article... and I am still too thick to work out what I have to do... Can someone please give me a more substantial hint??? Thanks

6. Jul 5, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

There are a few things you should look at. First of symmetry can you tell me by using symmetry in which direction the B-field will point? Secondly can you find a contour such that you can apply Ampere's law easily?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  7. Jul 5, 2009 #6
    I know it will be going in circles around the coil. But I cant think of any contours... I am majorly missing something here.

8. Jul 6, 2009 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No the magnetic field will not be going in circles around the coil, how did you get to this answer?

For clarification. We are talking about a solenoid here right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook