The Maxwell equation and the Fourier Spectrum of an Electric Field

In summary: This is a summary of the conversation about characterizing electric fields through their Fourier spectrum and applying the Maxwell equation to find a relation in the k-space. In summary, the divergence operator can be applied to a function in the k-space through its Fourier representation.
Gabriel Maia
Hi. I have an electric field E(r) which can be equivalently characterized by its Fourier spectrum [itex]\tilde{E}[/itex](k) through

E(r)[itex]\propto[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\tilde{E}[/itex](k)exp[ik[itex]\cdot[/itex]r]dk

The Maxwell equation states that in a homogeneous and isotropic medium

∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]E=0

So, applying this equation to my Fourier representation of the electric field I'm supposed to find

k[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\tilde{E}[/itex](k)=0

Now... doesn't [itex]\tilde{E}[/itex](k) have components in the k-space? I was under the impression its components were ([itex]\tilde{E}[/itex][itex]_{kx}[/itex],[itex]\tilde{E}[/itex][itex]_{ky}[/itex],[itex]\tilde{E}[/itex][itex]_{kz}[/itex])

So how come we can apply the divergence operator (in the coordinates space) on a function on the k-space?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
When you apply the divergence operator (as you said, with respect to the space coordinates) you are doing that on the field [itex]\vec E(\vec x)[/itex] which is a function of the space. However, it can be expressed in term of its Fourier transform, such that the coordinate dependence is shifted to the exponential inside the integral. Therefore (keep in mind that the derivative with respect with the coordinate can be brought inside the integrale with respect to the wave number):

$$
0=\nabla\cdot \vec E(\vec x)=\sum_{i=1}^3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}E_i(\vec x)=\sum_{i=1}^3\int d^3k \tilde E_i(\vec k)\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}e^{i\vec k\cdot\vec x}=\sum_{i=1}^3\int d^3k ik_i\tilde E_i(\vec k)e^{i\vec k\cdot\vec x},
$$
and so [itex]\sum_{i=1}^3k_i\tilde E_i(\vec k)=\vec k\cdot\vec{\tilde E}(\vec k)=0[/itex].

1. What is the Maxwell equation and why is it important?

The Maxwell equation is a set of four differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is important because it is a fundamental principle in classical electromagnetism and is used to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is the Fourier spectrum of an electric field?

The Fourier spectrum of an electric field is a representation of the electric field in terms of its frequency components. This allows us to analyze the behavior of the electric field in terms of different frequencies and understand how the field changes over time.

3. How is the Fourier spectrum of an electric field related to the Maxwell equation?

The Fourier spectrum of an electric field is related to the Maxwell equation through the concept of the electromagnetic spectrum. The Maxwell equation describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which can be broken down into different frequency components. The Fourier spectrum allows us to analyze the behavior of these components and understand how they contribute to the overall electric field.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Maxwell equation and the Fourier spectrum?

The Maxwell equation and the Fourier spectrum have numerous applications in everyday life. Some examples include the design of electrical circuits, the development of telecommunications technology, and the understanding of the Earth's magnetic field. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as MRI machines and satellite communication.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Maxwell equation and the Fourier spectrum?

While the Maxwell equation and the Fourier spectrum have been incredibly successful in explaining and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, there are some limitations and criticisms. For example, the equations do not take into account quantum effects and have difficulty explaining certain phenomena such as the photoelectric effect. Additionally, the Fourier spectrum assumes that the electric field is a continuous function, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.