Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maxwell equations and wave equation in a medium

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an isotropic medium with constant conductivity [itex]\sigma[/itex]. There is no free charge present, that is, [itex]\rho = 0[/itex].

a)What are the appropriate Maxwell equations for this medium?

b)Derive the damped wave equation for the electric field in the medium. Assume Ohm's law is of the form [itex]\vec{J}=\sigma\vec{E}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Maxwell equations and the curl

3. The attempt at a solution

a)
    Maxwell equaitons with [itex]\rho_f=0[/itex] and [itex] \vec{J}=\frac{\vec{E}}{\rho}[/itex].

[tex]
    \nabla \cdot \vec{D} = 0

[/tex]
    [tex]

\nabla \times \vec{E} = - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = 0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \nabla \times \vec{H} = \sigma \vec{E} + \epsilon_0 \mu_0 \frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t}
    [/tex]

Its simply a matter of putting a [itex] \sigma \vec{E} [/itex] in place of the displacement current [itex] \vec{J} [/itex] right? hmmm...

b)
    Here I am a little confused. I take the curl of the curl of [itex]\vec{E}[/itex],

[tex] \nabla \times (\nabla \times \vec{E}) = \nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec{E}) - \nabla^2 \vec{E} = -\nabla^2 \vec{E} = \nabla \times (-\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}) = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} (\nabla \times \vec{B}) [/tex]

Now here Im not sure if I am correct in assuming that [itex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0 [/itex] and I'm not sure what [itex] \nabla \times \vec{B} [/itex] in this case, since its not in fee space...

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First thing you do is assume sinusoids. It's pretty near impossible otherwise. So start with the equations for E and H assuming a sinusoidal plane wave. Use the exponetial form E = E0exp(jwt) and H = H0exp(jwt) if you're an engineer or substitute i for j if you're a physicist. :-)

Wind up eliminating H, and get a partial differential equation for E. Solve it.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    Im not trying to solve the wave equation, I am trying to derive it.

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

The fourth equation is correctly [itex]\nabla \times \vec{H} = \sigma \vec{E} +\frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t} [/itex]

and use also the "material equations" [itex]\vec{D}=\epsilon \vec{E}[/itex], [itex]\vec{B}=\mu\vec{H}[/itex]

ehild

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    Can I get [itex] \mu [/itex] and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] from the conductivity I am given?

7. Sep 25, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

No, they are also characteristics of the medium.

ehild

8. Sep 25, 2011 #7
    bleh, so the question does not provide enough for an answer? My profs. really suck at writing questions, this is not the first time this has happened...

9. Sep 25, 2011 #8

ehild

Homework Helper

You have the appropriate Maxwell equations, and can write the damped wave equation replacing B=μH and D=εE. ε and μ are constants.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook