Maxwell model of viscoelastic behaviour - Derivation of governing equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
mark_d89
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

i'm a 3rd year undergraduate chemical engineering student from Scotland, and i am wondering if anyone could help me with the following past paper question in my plastics engineering class. The question is based on the maxwell model of viscoelastic behaviour. Apologies if i have posted in the wrong section.

"In a tensile test on a plastic the material is subjected to a constant strain rate of 10^-5/s. The material may have it's behaviour modeled by a maxwell element with elastic constant 20GN/m^2 and viscous constant 1000 GNs/m^2.
(a) Starting from the governing equation for a maxwell element, derive the following expression for the stress in the material at any instant. stress=n2*strain*[1-exp(-G1*t/n2)]"
........

I have derived the governing equation down to the point, stress(t)=stress0*exp(-G1*t/n2) , but have not been able to get it to resemble the equation shown in the question. I'll attach a picture of the question for more clarity.

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
 
Attachments
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 700
Engineering news on Phys.org
Problem solved, spoke to lecturer today who gave me a few hints and was able to work through it.

I can post the solution if anyone is interested
 
I need to know about the conductivity of visco-elastic material.

1) can it be considered as perfectly conductivity of electricity and heat?

2)what are the normal mode analysis method?
3) what information do we get from this method?
4) what are the cracks of mode I,II and III
how they change the stress and strain tensor?
any material or link related to that then please provide,,,,,

any comments and remarks will be informative,
 
Hey, I'm on the same course and really struggling with this one at the moment! I'd be really grateful if you could post your solution if you happen to read this, thanks.