Maxwell's Distribution Law (Thermal Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions in a photo, with one person asking for verification of their attempted solution. There is also a general observation given on how to properly provide distributions in momentum space, and a personal observation on how to make answers more organized and legible for better responses.
warhammer
Homework Statement
Please find the photo attached, titled 'Questions'.
Relevant Equations
dNv= 4πN (m/2πkBT)^(3/2) v^2 exp {-(mv^2)/2kBT}dv
There are two questions in the photo.

I have attempted the solution (attached below) and I would be highly obliged if someone would verify the same.

Edit- Sorry the images of the solution have uploaded in the wrong order. 5th and 1st Image comprise of both parts of Q1 while the remaining of Q2.

Attachments

• Questions.jpg
    Questions.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Thermal Physics Internal 1_3.jpg
    Thermal Physics Internal 1_3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Thermal Physics Internal 1_4.jpg
    Thermal Physics Internal 1_4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Thermal Physics Internal 1_5.jpg
    Thermal Physics Internal 1_5.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 109
  • Thermal Physics Internal 1_2.jpg
    Thermal Physics Internal 1_2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
Homework Statement:: Please find the photo attached, titled 'Questions'.
Relevant Equations:: dNv= 4πN (m/2πkBT)^(3/2) v^2 exp {-(mv^2)/2kBT}dv

There are two questions in the photo.

I have attempted the solution (attached below) and I would be highly obliged if someone would verify the same.

Edit- Sorry the images of the solution have uploaded in the wrong order. 5th and 1st Image comprise of both parts of Q1 while the remaining of Q2.
General observation: You are asked to provide distributions in momentum space. This means you should write these as ##f(p_x)## and ##f(p)## with no ##v_x## or ##v## on the right-hand side of the equation.

Personal observation: You might get more responses if your answers were more legible (i.e. in LaTeX) and better organized, perhaps by putting one answer immediately below the question it refers to. Viewers are more likely to respond if you show some consideration to them.

Last edited:
Likes warhammer, vela and berkeman
kuruman said:
General observation: You are asked to provide distributions in momentum space. This means you should write these as ##f(p_x)## and ##f(p)## with no ##v_x## or ##v## on the right-hand side of the equation.

Personal observation: You might get more responses if your answers were more legible (i.e. in LaTeX) and better organized, perhaps by putting one answer immediately below the question it refers to. Viewers are more likely to respond if you show some consideration to them.

kuruman said:

Thank you for your kind instructions. Will keep this in mind and repost the thread with the necessary formatting.

1. What is Maxwell's Distribution Law?

Maxwell's Distribution Law is a fundamental principle in thermal physics that describes the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas at a given temperature.

2. How does Maxwell's Distribution Law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

Maxwell's Distribution Law is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of particles in a gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas.

3. What is the shape of the velocity distribution curve in Maxwell's Distribution Law?

The velocity distribution curve in Maxwell's Distribution Law is a bell-shaped curve, also known as a Gaussian distribution, with the peak at the most probable velocity and the tails extending to higher and lower velocities.

4. How does temperature affect the velocity distribution according to Maxwell's Distribution Law?

As temperature increases, the velocity distribution curve in Maxwell's Distribution Law becomes wider and flatter, indicating a greater spread of velocities and a higher probability of particles having higher velocities.

5. What are the applications of Maxwell's Distribution Law?

Maxwell's Distribution Law has numerous applications in various fields, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and atmospheric science. It is also used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various systems, such as gases, plasmas, and stars.