May decoherence be reversible?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that measures a two level system using a harmonic oscillator as the apparatus. The article demonstrates how the reduced matrix of the system decoheres, leading to a revival of coherence in a cyclic process. The speaker is looking for a similar calculation with a single oscillator as the environment, which would show a revival of coherence after some time. The other person mentions that decoherence is reversible, but for a large number of environment degrees of freedom, it appears irreversible for practical purposes.
naima
Gold Member
I found an interesting paper
here a two level system is measured by a harmonic oscillator(the apparatus). the apparatus is coupled to its environment, a bath of oscillators.
The article shows how the reduced matrix of S+ A decoheres (the off diagonal elements tend to zero).
I am looking for a similar calculation with an environment reduced to a single oscillator.
I think that we would find the off diagonal initial values after some time.
So there would be a revival of coherence in a cyclic process.
Have you a link?

Physics news on Phys.org
naima said:
I am looking for a similar calculation with an environment reduced to a single oscillator.
I think that we would find the off diagonal initial values after some time.
So there would be a revival of coherence in a cyclic process.
You are right, decoherence is reversible. When environment consists of a small number degrees of freedom, the typical recurrence time is relatively small. But when the number N of environment degrees of freedom is large, the recurrence time increases exponentially with N, implying that it appears irreversible for all practical purposes.

1. What is decoherence?

Decoherence is a process in quantum mechanics where a quantum system interacts with its environment, causing it to lose its quantum properties and become more classical in behavior.

2. How does decoherence affect the reversibility of quantum systems?

Decoherence is considered irreversible because once a quantum system interacts with its environment, it becomes entangled with it and any information about the original state is lost. This makes it difficult to reverse the process and retrieve the original quantum state.

3. Can decoherence be reversed?

While it is difficult to reverse the effects of decoherence, there are some methods being researched such as quantum error correction and quantum error correction codes that may be able to recover the original quantum state. However, these methods are not yet fully developed and tested.

4. Are there any potential applications for reversible decoherence?

One potential application is in quantum computing, where decoherence is a major challenge. If we could find a way to reverse decoherence, it could greatly improve the reliability and accuracy of quantum computing systems.

5. What are the current challenges in studying reversible decoherence?

One of the main challenges is finding ways to measure and manipulate quantum systems without causing additional decoherence. Another challenge is developing reliable methods for reversing decoherence, as it requires precise control and understanding of quantum systems.