Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decoherence and the Density Matrix

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I've been reading the seminal Zurek papers on decoherence but there is one (crucial) point on which I am confused. I understand the mathematical demonstrations that over very short timescales the superpositions of states represented as off-diagonal terms in the density matrix can be shown to go to zero over very short timescales due to interaction of the apparatus/system with the environment, leaving a diagonal density matrix. However, why exactly does a diagonal density matrix mean that we can never measure a superposition of states?

Thanks for any insight!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

To be able to measure the superposition means to be able to measure the relative PHASE between different components of the superposition. For example, the superposition
    |a>+|b>
    is very different from the superposition
    |a>-|b>
    In the first case the relative phase factor is +1, while in the second it is -1.

If you write down the density matrix for these two superpositions, you will see that their diagonal matrix elements are the same, while they differ in the off-diagonal matrix elements. In other words, the information about the relative phase is encoded in the off-diagonal matrix elements. Thus, by destroying the off-diagonal matrix elements you destroy the information about the relative phase, which implies that you cannot see the superposition. Instead of a superposition above with a well defined relative phase, you have a mixture
    |a> or |b>

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook