Test anxiety about MCAT and UKCAT for medical school applications

  • Thread starter Thread starter fileen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Anxiety Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
fileen
Messages
66
Reaction score
4
So I am terrified to write my MCAT and keep putting it off. I have been looking at schools in England and Scotland and was planning to apply but they require a UKCAT. Has anyone written the MCAT who feels inclined to make me feel better? and does anyone know about the UKCAT and how I go about taking that if the MCAT does not count as an equivalent?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Um, you better define your acronyms there. Since you're talking about England and Scotland, I assume you DON'T mean the Medical College Admission Test that is what MCAT means in the US. Or maybe you do.
 
Moonbear said:
Um, you better define your acronyms there. Since you're talking about England and Scotland, I assume you DON'T mean the Medical College Admission Test that is what MCAT means in the US. Or maybe you do.

Yes that's what I am talking about. I don't understand the acronym for UKCAT, but apparently I need it for medical and or veterinary school in England and Scotland. Its called the MCAT here in Canada also, but some schools here done require it.
 
There are two things you need to know for the MCAT. The first is you need to know your basic science course material...biology, chemistry, physics...along with how to write. The second is you need to know how to take a standardized test...how to pick up on the tricks the test writers throw in.

If you're really worried about taking the exam, take a prep course. I don't know what's offered in Canada. In the US, there are test prep companies like Kaplan and Princeton Review that, while pricey, do a good job of preparing you for these exams. They will administer a lot of practice exams, give you study guides, and help you sort through the tips and tricks. I don't know of anyone who doesn't take one of these courses, or something similar, to prepare for the exam...or at least get the study guides from someone who has taken the courses.

In the US, there are different exams for medical school vs. veterinary school. So, that's also something to be aware of, in case medical school isn't your plan and you're thinking veterinary school.
 
Moonbear said:
There are two things you need to know for the MCAT. The first is you need to know your basic science course material...biology, chemistry, physics...along with how to write. The second is you need to know how to take a standardized test...how to pick up on the tricks the test writers throw in.

If you're really worried about taking the exam, take a prep course. I don't know what's offered in Canada. In the US, there are test prep companies like Kaplan and Princeton Review that, while pricey, do a good job of preparing you for these exams. They will administer a lot of practice exams, give you study guides, and help you sort through the tips and tricks. I don't know of anyone who doesn't take one of these courses, or something similar, to prepare for the exam...or at least get the study guides from someone who has taken the courses.

In the US, there are different exams for medical school vs. veterinary school. So, that's also something to be aware of, in case medical school isn't your plan and you're thinking veterinary school.

I honestly don't know which I want. I work at a vet clinic and I love it, but I also feel like I should be helping people. It seems that as I leave my home country things are going to get even more complicated. I am already at Guelph University which is the only one in Ontario if not Canada that offers Veterinary medicine. My schooling is so random though, I am a biology major with a minor in genetics, psychology and neuroscience, not to mention the physics courses I've thrown in at random. I just love school and that's the problem.