Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

McCain starts new telephone attack

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turbo already received one of these calls.

4. Oct 20, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

McCain's response on Letterman to questions about the calls was that they were absolutely true. Obama has been associating with terrorists. (Also on Chris Wallace on Fox on Sunday.)

That is just so wrong that he would publicly stick to that as being somehow a fair interpretation of the facts. Then he follows up with he doesn't care about a washed up terrorist?

Is this how he would conduct the affairs of the Nation? And not just the kinds of misrepresentations he would resort to in order to get elected?

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

What gets me is that Maine is solidly pro-Obama. All I can derive from this is that McCain is going for a last-ditch narrow victory in the electoral college. Maine gives the two senatorial electoral votes to the winner of a majority, but splits its congressional electoral votes by district. If he can swing the northern district (where Palin visited last week, and where I live) he can pick up ONE of Maine's 4 electoral votes.

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama should sue the SOB. There comes a point where this isn't just politics. How does this not qualify as defamation of character?

7. Oct 20, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Have you dealt with the civil courts? There is absolutely no time to pursue this while it matters, and probably no reason to pursue it after it matters. I have been dealing with the legal system for years now regarding my wrongful termination, including defamation of my character in an industry in which I hold impeccable credentials for honesty and integrity. It's finally scheduled tentatively for federal court, 3 years after the fact. McCain will be dead 3 years from now, or his lawyers will be able to delay (and deny) justice until he is dead. Obama can't waste time beating that horse.

8. Oct 20, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Obama is a public figure. This is politics. Libel/Slander in these cases has a very high threshold. McCain hides with his deceitfulness in the deconstruction of his misrepresentations. Though clearly it is a misrepresentation, because of what it omits to include.

Could Obama win in court? Not likely. The country has a grand tradition of outright yellow journalism to misrepresent candidates for public office.

In the Court of Public Opinion however, I think McCain continues to expose himself as a shallow thinking, erratic hypocrite, for his earlier pledges to run a more high-minded campaign. The 2008 version of John McCain is the one that has driven away his friends and conservative intellectuals.

When all is said and done McCain will have no one. He has been abandoned by those that once may have admired him and is only now tolerated by the Far Right as the only choice. After the election if they never see him again it will be too soon.

John McCain - a man without a Party. He must be going to retire in 2 years.

9. Oct 20, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's kind of what I feel McCain is doing, he knows this is the last chance he will ever have at the Presidency and if he doesn't get that, at his age, will just retire, so he apparently doesn't really care what he says or does at this point.

10. Oct 20, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I think you're right. He's washed up and irrelevant and too many of his past indiscretions have come out in this campaign, as well as those of his top advisors. He has surrounded himself with crooks and there is no clean honorable exit for him. His selection of a vacuous bimbo as a running-mate has shown us the depth of his contempt for our government. Even a younger, healthier, President can die, leaving us in the hands of the VP.

11. Oct 20, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't mean to say that it would make any difference in this election, but some of these smear tactics have gone beyond politics; much like when Nixon won in California by accusing his opponent of being a Communist. Consider the significance of allowing that to go unchecked. This business of winning an election by make false and incriminating statements serves no one but the crooks, which is why we got Bush.

Where do we draw the line; when they accuse someone of murder and rape? What if Obama ran ads or robocalls stating that McCain has sex with little boys? Would that be just more politics as well?

12. Oct 20, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think McCain has gone beyond this threshold, just as Nixon did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?