1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean energy behavior as a function of T.

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a problem the TA made but now that I look back at it, I wonder how he did it.

A system contains N weakly interacting particles, each of which can be in either one of two states of respective energies [itex]\epsilon_1[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_2[/itex] with [itex]\epsilon_1<\epsilon_2[/itex].

a) With no explicit computation, draw a qualitative representation of the mean energy [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] of the system as a function of the temperature T. What happens to [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] in the limit of very small and very large temparatures? Approximately at which value of T does [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] changes from its low temperature limit to its high temperature limit?

He drew a curve that starts at T=0 with [itex]\bar{E}(0)=N\epsilon_1[/itex], rises up, appears to have an inflexion point at [itex](\epsilon_2-\epsilon_1)/k[/itex], and approaches [itex]N(\epsilon_1+\epsilon_2)/2[/itex] as [itex]T\rightarrow +\infty[/itex].

I just really don't know how he knows all that. The only relation btw T and E I know is really not helpful:

[tex]\frac{1}{kT}=\frac{\partial \ln(\Omega)}{\partial E}[/tex]

There's one in term of the partition function too but we're not allowed to calculate it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?