1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean field approximation and entropy

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a D dimensional Ising model with N sites, defined by the Hamiltonian $$\mathcal H = -J \sum_{\langle i j \rangle} \sigma_i \sigma_j - h \sum_i \sigma_i$$ where the sum extends over nearest neighbours and each spin variable ##\sigma_i = \pm 1##. For a given spin configuration we denote the number of spins up and spins down by ##N_+## and ##N_-## respectively. The magnetisation is defined by ##m=(N_+ - N_-)/N##

a) Using Stirling's approximation, show that the entropy of the system can be written as $$S/N = \log 2 - \frac{1}{2} (1+m) \log(1+m) - \frac{1}{2} (1-m) \log(1-m)$$ and that in the mean field approximation $$f(T,m) = -\frac{1}{2} Jzm^2 + \frac{1}{2} T((1+m) \log(1+m) - (1-m) \log(1-m)) - T\log 2$$

2. Relevant equations
    $$S = \ln \Omega,$$ in units of ##k_B=1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are N sites and on each site, the spin can be up or down. So isn't the total number of spin configurations (or number of microstates) just ##2^N##? This would give ##S = N \log 2##, the first term in that expansion but I don't see how the other terms come about.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

This doesn't seem like an introductory homework, but in any case I got the first part to work by using ## \Omega=N!/((N_+)!(N_-)!) ## . The number of states is apparently given by the number of possible combinations that can create a given ## m ##. It's an exercise in algebra, but their answer for S is correct.

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi Charles Link,
    Ah ok. I tried this expression for ##\Omega## and I did not seem to get the correct result - in particular where would the factor of log 2 come from?

Thanks!

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The factor of ## \ln 2 ## (it's actually ## N \ln 2 ## ) is what is left over after a lot of terms cancel. If I remember correctly ## N_+=N(1+m)/2 ## and ## N_-=N(1-m)/2 ## There are several places where you use ## N=N_+ + N_- ## and when you take ## \ln(\Omega) ## , Stirling's formula is used 3 times. (twice in the denominator). If you are careful with the algebra, I think you will get the same result. (I think the ## N \ln(2) ## comes from the 1/2's in the denominators of ## N_+ ## and ## N_- ##, but I'd need to look again at my calculations to be sure.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. Apr 13, 2016 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

I see. thanks! The only thing I don't understand is why would the number of states be counted in this way? If I just count the number of spin configurations then the total number of states would be ##2^N## if I can distinguish between the spins. Then this would yield an entropy with only the first term present. Any ideas?

7. Apr 13, 2016 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I had Statistical and Thermal physics (we used the book by F. Reif), quite a number of years ago. If the spins are in a lattice, I think your way of counting them might be appropriate, but I am certainly no expert. I picked the method of the combinations simply because it then resulted in the book's answer.

8. Apr 13, 2016 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

I see, thanks anyway! ok maybe we can await an answer from someone else, @TSny maybe? I thought my spins were on a lattice no? I imagined the Ising model in D dim to be like a hypercubic with spins placed on the nodes of the cubes.

9. Apr 13, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The spins are on a lattice.

2N represents the total number of possible micro states. You want the entropy corresponding to a particular value of magnetization m. Only a subset of the 2N possible micro states have the magnetization m. Charles gave you an expression for the number of micro states Ω in the subset. If you use his expression you should get the desired expression for S/N corresponding to a magnetization m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted