Mean of the derivative of a periodic function

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Robin04
Messages
259
Reaction score
16
TL;DR
I'm wondering if given that the mean of a periodic fuction is zero than the mean of all of its derivatives is zero too.
We have a periodic function ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with period ##T, f(x+T)=f(x)##
The statement is the following: $$\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T f(x)dx =0 \implies \frac{1}{T}\int_0^T\frac{d}{dx} f(x)dx =0$$
Can you give me a hint on how to prove/disprove it? The examples I tried all confirmed this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##F(x)## be the antiderivative of ##\left( \dfrac{d}{dx}\,f(x) \right)##. Then the right hand side is?
 
fresh_42 said:
Let ##F(x)## be the antiderivative of ##\left( \dfrac{d}{dx}\,f(x) \right)##. Then the right hand side is?
So then ##F(x)=f(x)+c##, where ##c## is the integration constant.
$$\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T \frac{d}{dx}f(x) dx = \frac{1}{T}[F(x)]_0^T=\frac{1}{T}[f(x)+c]_0^T=\frac{1}{T}(f(T)+c-f(0)-c)=0$$
Is this correct?
 
Robin04 said:
Summary: I'm wondering if given that the mean of a periodic fuction is zero than the mean of all of its derivatives is zero too.

We have a periodic function ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with period ##T, f(x+T)=f(x)##
The statement is the following: $$\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T f(x)dx =0 \implies \frac{1}{T}\int_0^T\frac{d}{dx} f(x)dx =0$$
Can you give me a hint on how to prove/disprove it? The examples I tried all confirmed this.

[itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T\frac{d}{dx} f(x)dx = 0[/itex] is a direct result of the fundamental theorem of caclulus and the fact that [itex]f(0) = f(T)[/itex]. It holds irrespective of the value of [itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T f(x)dx[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Robin04
Robin04 said:
Summary: I'm wondering if given that the mean of a periodic fuction is zero than the mean of all of its derivatives is zero too.

We have a periodic function ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with period ##T, f(x+T)=f(x)##
The statement is the following: $$\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T f(x)dx =0 \implies \frac{1}{T}\int_0^T\frac{d}{dx} f(x)dx =0$$
Can you give me a hint on how to prove/disprove it? The examples I tried all confirmed this.
Would you count ##\frac{\sin x\ |\cos x|}{\cos x}## as a periodic function with mean zero for purposes of this question?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Robin04
pasmith said:
[itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T\frac{d}{dx} f(x)dx = 0[/itex] is a direct result of the fundamental theorem of caclulus and the fact that [itex]f(0) = f(T)[/itex]. It holds irrespective of the value of [itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T f(x)dx[/itex].
Oh, you're right. Interesting, haven't thought about that.

jbriggs444 said:
Would you count ##\frac{\sin x\ |\cos x|}{\cos x}## as a periodic function with mean zero for purposes of this question?
Well, that's interesting. I cannot plot its derivative for some reason, but I suppose it's continuity the issue here.
 
Robin04 said:
Well, that's interesting. I cannot plot its derivative for some reason, but I suppose it's continuity the issue here.
It is continously differentiable over its domain. But its domain misses the odd multiples of ##\frac{\pi}{2}##.

That means that the anti-derivative of its derivative over almost any interval of length ##\pi## has two disjoint segments. Two c's, instead of just one. *WHAM* There goes that cancellation of the c's you did in post #3.