Mean Value Theorem problem, where did I go wrong?

In summary, the Mean Value Theorem and Intermediate Value Theorem can be used to show that for a continuous function f on the interval [a,b], there exists a point c in [a,b] such that u(c-a) = f(c) - f(a), where u is a value between f(a+) and (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a). This can be proven by setting a point n in [a,b] and using the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that there is a point p in [n,b] for which f(p) - f(a) = u(b-a).
ECmathstudent

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is continuous on [a,b], and dy/dx f(a+)< u < (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a) that there exists a point c so that u(c-a) = f(c)-f(a)

Homework Equations

The Mean Value Theorem, Intermediate value theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a) = dy/dx f(d) for some d in [a,b]
then set the point n in [a,b] so I could state
f(b) = (dy/dx f(d))(b-a) + f(a)
f(n) = (dy/dx f(a))(b-a) + f(a)

so with no loss in generality I put the inequalities in this order

(dy/dx f(a))(b-a) + f(a) < u(b-a) + f(a) < (dy/dx f(a))(b-a) + f(a)
so
f(n) < u(b-a) + f(a) < f(b)

so by Intermediate value theorem there is some point p in [n,b] so that

f(p) = u(b-a) + f(a)
so
f(p) - f(a) = u(b-a)
which is not what I wanted, any idea what I could've done to make that b a p in the final step, or should I start from scratch?

Physics news on Phys.org
And I just realized I missed the day where we learned Darboux's theorem, and spent 4 hours working on problems trying to derive it on my own.

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there must exist at least one point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem applied in problem-solving?

The Mean Value Theorem is often used in calculus to prove the existence of a solution to a problem or to approximate the value of a function at a certain point. It can also be used to prove other important theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What are some common mistakes made when applying the Mean Value Theorem?

One common mistake is assuming that the function is continuous and differentiable on the entire interval, when in fact it may have a discontinuity or a point where it is not differentiable. Another mistake is using the wrong interval or incorrectly calculating the average rate of change.

4. Is there a specific method for solving Mean Value Theorem problems?

Yes, there is a specific method for solving Mean Value Theorem problems. First, you must check that the function is continuous and differentiable on the given interval. Then, you must find the average rate of change on that interval. Finally, you can use the Mean Value Theorem to find the point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem has many real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering to approximate the velocity of an object at a specific time, in economics to determine the average rate of change in a market, and in statistics to calculate the average rate of change in a data set.