Mean value theorem section problem

In summary, the given conversation discusses the properties of a function f that is continuous in [0,1] and differentiable in (0,1). It is given that f(0)=0 and for x∈(0,1)|f'(x)|≤|f(x)|, with 0<a<1. The goal is to prove the following:(i) The set {|f(x)| : 0≤x≤a} has a maximum value.(ii) For every x∈(0,a], the inequality \frac{f(x)}{x}≤max{|f(x)|:0≤x≤a} holds.(iii) f(x)=0 for x
nhrock3
f is continues in [0,1] and differentiable in (0,1)

f(0)=0 and for[TEX] x\in(0,1)[/TEX] [TEX]|f'(x)|<=|f(x)|[/TEX] and 0<a<1 prove:

(i)the set [TEX]{|f(x)| : 0<=x<=a}[/TEX] has maximum

(ii)for every [TEX]x\in(0,a][/TEX] this innequality holds [TEX]\frac{f(x)}{x}\leq max{|f(x)|:0<=x<=a}[/TEX]

(iii)f(x)=0 for [TEX]x\in[0,a][/TEX]

(iiiן)f(x)=0 for [TEX]x\in[0,1][/TEX]

in each of the following subquestion we can use the previosly proves subquestion.

first part i have solve by saying that f is continues in the subsection so

by weirshtrass we have max and min

and max|f(x)|=max{|maxf(x)|,|minf(x)|}

in the second part

we know that max|f(x)|>|f(x)|>=|f'(x)|

and we take c in [0,x] a subsection of [0,a]

|f(c)|>=|f'(c)|

and we know that f(0)=0 so we take [0,a]

|f'(c)|=|f(0)-f(x) /x-0 |

|f'(c)|=|f(x)/x|

|f(x)|>|f(x)|>=|f'(x)|

so i got all the parts but i can't join them because its c there and not x

c is inside point x is on the border.

what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
nhrock3 said:
f is continues in [0,1] and differentiable in (0,1)

f(0)=0 and for[tex] x\in(0,1)[/tex] [tex]|f'(x)|<=|f(x)|[/tex] and 0<a<1 prove:

(i)the set [tex]{|f(x)| : 0<=x<=a}[/tex] has maximum

(ii)for every [tex]x\in(0,a][/tex] this innequality holds [tex]\frac{f(x)}{x}\leq max{|f(x)|:0<=x<=a}[/tex]

(iii)f(x)=0 for [tex]x\in[0,a][/tex]

(iiiן)f(x)=0 for [tex]x\in[0,1][/tex]

Use lower case in your tex tags as I have done above to make it readable. Also if you preview your posts you will see if it works. I will let others comment because I have a football game to watch :smile:

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a differentiable function on an interval, there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to analyze rates of change in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the average velocity of an object over a certain period of time or the average growth rate of a population.

3. What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant in calculus because it provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of critical points and determining the behavior of a function on an interval. It also serves as the basis for many other important theorems in calculus.

4. What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The Mean Value Theorem holds if the function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval within that closed interval. Additionally, the endpoints of the closed interval must have the same function value.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to functions with vertical tangents?

No, the Mean Value Theorem only applies to functions with continuous and differentiable tangent lines. If a function has a vertical tangent, it is not differentiable at that point and therefore the Mean Value Theorem cannot be applied.