1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of continuous frequency domain

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Discrete-time transforms

What does it mean when it says this :
    These transforms have a continuous frequency domain:

Discrete-time Fourier transform
    Z-transform

What is the meaning of continuous frequency domain..?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2
    So in a discrete domain the functions are only defined at integer values of the independent variables.

For the continuous domain the functions are defined at real number values (or complex values in the case of the z-domain).

For an example of a transformation that maps from a discrete domain to another discrete domain read about the Discrete Fourier Transform (as oppose to the Discrete TIME Fourier Transform).

Does that help at all? Sorry, I am not very good at explaining stuff.

I bet the math guys/gals in here are going to get onto me for trying to explain this so sloppily!

Are you studying signal processing or just math?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    I am studying both. But I like the answer to be inclined more towards Signals.
    Also I looked at different transform methods. Can anybody tell me where all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transforms" [Broken] transform methods are used?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook