1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How frequency domain topic should be taught in the academic course?

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    This is a soft question but I think it's a real fact.The Frequency domain has made revolution in the field of Mathematics,Physics,Digital Signal and image Processing etc. Some of concepts
    which are very difficult to analyse in
    spatial or time domain can be very easily understood in the frequency domain using the theorems like Fourier transform &series, wavelets ,Laplace transform etc.

But my experience is that when it is being taught in the academic curriculum or course, it is not given as much importance as it has to be. Most of the teachers or professors don't know how teach this topic and students like us get hardly any knowledge about the frequency domain in academic course compared to discussions in the forum like the very useful

https://www.physicsforums.com

So I am requesting the scholars, eminent professors and researchers to give some guidelines or explanation so that students as well as teachers get to know how frequency domain topic should be studied and taught in the academic curriculum. And all of us would study this topic with interest.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is too bad that the way you were taught Fourier/Laplace/etc. didn't work for you. As you say, it is an important topic. I am curious what your academic background is (your major, etc.) , and how you were taught the subject. Was it a full year class, a one semester/quarter class, or just part of one class?

I am an electrical engineer in the US and adequately learned these topics (with the exception of wavelets) from a more-or-less standard "signals and systems" course required of all EEs. For me, a mixture of doing pencil and paper work (including sketching signals in time and frequency domains), and using matlab to calculate and plot examples was useful. Knowing the basic theorems and using them to understand how things work really helped as well: here I am thinking about a shift in the time domain being equivalent to a phase ramp in the frequency domain, etc.

jason

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Well,I am doing under graduation in 4
    years Electronics and Telecommunication
    Engineering .We have semester pattern
    system (2 semesters in 1 year).In the 3rd
    semester, We have subject named
    "Signals and Systems" under which the
    above topic is covered.

Most of the teachers or professors don't know how teach this topic. They teach with the help of readymade PowerPoint presentations (e.g. for Laplace transform, single PPT which is mostly downloaded from
    internet )and sometimes they take chalk
    in their hand .So the students like us get
    hardly any knowledge about the frequency
    domain in academic course .

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    Sir I have added some information.please go through it.

6. May 18, 2015 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook