Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of "Executive Summary" in this context?

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,
    I am doing a side job, writing an analysis of a healthcare-related paper . I was asked to follow a specific format : Executive Summary, Statement of Problem, Analysis of Situation, Recommended Solution. I have some idea of what an Exec. Summary is in the context of a business plan, but I am not clear on what it may mean in this context of analyzing a paper using this format. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Something like abstract?

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3

Evo

When I had to write reports with an "Executive Summary", it meant a VERY BRIEF, simplified problem/solution in a small nutshell. I was told it was usually the only part of my report the executive would be reading. We were told to keep it to a small paragraph, our VP was that bad.

Have you tried googling examples?

https://www.umuc.edu/writingcenter/writingresources/exec_summaries.cfm

5. Oct 12, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, thanks, yes, but all the examples I found were related to sales or personal pitches or business promotion. Thanks.

6. Oct 15, 2015 #5

berkeman

Exactly. Write it like that is all that is going to be read by the important decision makers. That's the theme I use when I include an Executive Summary in something I write. :smile:

7. Oct 15, 2015 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Executive summaries would explain what was studied, why it was studied, high level summary of results, and probably how it is relevant to the executive/manager reading the report, or how much it would benefit the sponsor of the study - e.g., reduce cost and increase profit, or increase revenue and profit - particularly if it a business case.

8. Oct 28, 2015 #7
    I think what everyone here has said is correct, the main thing that helps me in doing the things already mentioned here is writing the Executive Summary last.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook