Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of integrating exterior forms

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I just discovered this forum: very very nice!

And here's my first question:
    An exterior p-form is a multilinear antisymmetric map from p copies of a vector space (in particular, a tangent space located at some point P of a manifold) to the reals.

Now what could it mean to have an integral of a p-form over a submanifold of dimension p?? If I think of the integral as a sum of p-forms at different points P along the submanifold, then what would the argument of the sum of the p-forms be? At each point it should be a *different* argument, so how can you add p-forms at different points??

Edit: Is this the answer? By definition of the integral, the p-form [tex] \alpha^p [/tex] in any coordinate patch such that [tex] \alpha=a_idx^i [/tex], is to be evaluated by taking as arguments the corresponding basis tangent vectors [tex]\partial/\partial x^i. [/tex] That indeed makes the integral independent of reparametrization.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2
    I don't think there are experts who can answer your nor my question.. sad.. T_T
  4. Sep 22, 2006 #3
    Oh darn, I thought someone answered my question :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?