1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of y = c if f(x) = cg(x)

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I post part A too but I'm having trouble only with Part B.

Question.[PLAIN]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8297/20104ivwhytangenttoseco.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

I know....

[itex]y = sin x [/itex] and [itex] y = cx[/itex] intersects when ...

[itex]sin x = cx[/itex] so [itex] \frac{sin x}{x} = c[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I just don't understand why [itex] \frac{sin x}{x} = c[/itex]
    means that [itex] y = c [/itex] has to be tangent to
    [itex] y = \frac{sin x}{x}[/itex] at the second hump?

I'm not seeing the connection...

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at the second graph. If y = c x is not tangent to the graph of y = sin(x) "near the second hump", then the graph of y = c x will intersect the graph of y = sin(x) in either 7 places, or in 3 places.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Hi SammyS. Thanks for your answer.

But I don't understand your answer either

Generally, I have trouble relating intersection of [itex] y = sin x [/itex] and [itex] y = cx [/itex] to graph of [itex] y = \frac{sin x}{x} [/itex] and [itex] y = c[/itex]. But I understand [itex] sin x = cx [/itex] means [itex] \frac{sin x}{x} = c [/itex].

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To solve y = c x , and y = sin(x) simultaneously, you have:

c x = sin(x) .

That's equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle c=\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\,.[/itex]

One way to solve this equation is graphically, i.e., where does the graph of y = c intercept the graph of [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\,?[/itex] I think the question to be asking is, "Should these two graphs be tangent at the point of intersection?"

If y = c is tangent to [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\,[/itex] near [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{5\pi}{2}\,,[/itex] then it must be true that on either side of the point of tangency, [itex]\displaystyle c>\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\,.[/itex] It can be shown that this inequality holds.

Therefore, the slope of [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\,[/itex] is zero at the same value of x at which the the graph of y = c x is tangent to the graph of [itex]\displaystyle y=\sin(x)\,[/itex] near the second hump. Use this value of x to solve for c.

6. Nov 4, 2011 #5
    Hi SammyS. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook