Measurable and Unif. Convergence in (a,b)

In summary, we discussed the convergence of a sequence of measurable functions {f_n}:ℝ→ℝ, and how under certain conditions, its convergence is a.e. uniform. We also explored the possibility of adding conditions to have uniform convergence in a specific interval, and found that it is possible to achieve this by removing a set of measure zero.
Bacle2
Science Advisor
Hi, All:

If {f_n}:ℝ→ℝ are measurable and f_n-->f pointwise, then convergence is a.e. uniform. Are there any conditions we can add to have f_n-->f in some open interval (a,b)?

Correction: convergence happens in some subset of finite measure; otherwise above not true.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle2 said:
Hi, All:

If {f_n}:ℝ→ℝ are measurable and f_n-->f pointwise, then convergence is a.e. uniform. Are there any conditions we can add to have f_n-->f in some open interval (a,b)?

Correction: convergence happens in some subset of finite measure; otherwise above not true.

Your original statement is incorrect. Example:

fn(x) = n2x for 0≤x≤1/n
... = n - n2(x-1/n) for 1/n<x<2/n
... = 0 otherwise.

fn(x) -> 0 pointwise, but is certainly not uniform, although it will be in any interval excluding [0,ε] for any ε.

Yes, I was careless. I should have said: for any ε>0 , fn(x)→0 uniformly outside of a set of measure ε. Find Nε with 1/Nε<e. Then fn(x)→0 outside of [0,1/N).

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
Yes, I was careless. I should have said: for any ε>0 , fn(x)→0 uniformly outside of a set of measure ε. Find Nε with 1/Nε<e. Then fn(x)→0 outside of [0,1/N).

The statement is confusing. What is the assumption and what are you trying to prove?

The assumptions are the same: a sequence of measurable functions converge on a bounded subset of the real line. It follows, e.g., by Egorof's , that f_n-->f a.e. uniformly.

I am wondering if we can add some conditions , either on the functions, or on the domain/range of the functions of the sequence so that the functions converge uniformly _in some interval (a,b)_ , instead of just a.e., uniformly. Basically, we can remove a set of measure zero and get a 1st category space with empty interior.

Never mind, thanks; I found the condition I needed.

1. What is the definition of measurable convergence in (a,b)?

Measurable convergence in (a,b) is a type of convergence that is defined in terms of a measure. It means that a sequence of measurable functions converges pointwise almost everywhere on a given interval (a,b) with respect to a measure.

2. How is measurable convergence in (a,b) different from uniform convergence?

The main difference between measurable convergence and uniform convergence is that measurable convergence is defined in terms of a measure, while uniform convergence is defined in terms of a metric. Measurable convergence also allows for pointwise convergence, while uniform convergence requires uniform continuity.

3. What is the significance of measurable convergence in (a,b) in mathematical analysis?

Measurable convergence in (a,b) is an important concept in mathematical analysis as it allows for the study of convergence of functions in terms of measures, which have many applications in probability theory and other areas of mathematics. It also provides a framework for understanding convergence of more general types of functions.

4. How is measurable convergence in (a,b) related to dominated convergence theorem?

The dominated convergence theorem is a powerful tool for proving measurable convergence in (a,b). It states that if a sequence of measurable functions is dominated by an integrable function, then the sequence converges measurably to a measurable function. This theorem is often used to prove measurable convergence in (a,b) for specific cases.

5. Can measurable convergence in (a,b) be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, measurable convergence in (a,b) can be extended to higher dimensions. In higher dimensions, the interval (a,b) is replaced by a measurable set in a higher dimensional space. The definition and properties of measurable convergence remain the same, but the functions and measures involved are extended to higher dimensions.