Measure for momentum in curved space

In summary, when computing T^00 or an expectation value in quantum field theory, it is common to write it as an integral over momentum space. This is not affected by the metric structure of curved spacetime, as the momentum space can be thought of as a Fourier transform and plane waves are not natural solutions in this context. While it may seem that the \sqrt g in the space integral cancels out with its inverse in the momentum integral, this is not the case as seen in research articles on the density of states in curved space.
Judithku
When I write down a quantum field (for instance to compute T^00 or some expectation value)

I write it as an integral over momentum space.

If I am working in curved space
should this be divided by sqrt [g]?

(and why or why not?)

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is - no. The "momentum" space can be thought of just as a Fourier transform, which has nothing to do with a metric structure of spacetime.

Moreover, expansion of the field in terms of plane waves is not a natural thing to do in curved spacetime, because plane waves are not solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation in curved spacetime.

Thanks -
I realize in general plane waves are inappropriate but I thought in dealing with a very weak potential that they could be used.

In papers written about the density of states in curved space, they say
\int d^3 x \int d^3 p
is invariant.
I thought this meant that the \sqrt g in the space integral cancels out
with its inverse in the momentum integral.
Do you think that is incorrect?
See for instance
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0375960189905628
and on the arxiv
http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.5421

1. What is momentum in curved space?

Momentum in curved space refers to the quantity of motion an object possesses in a space with a curved geometry, such as a curved path or warped spacetime.

2. How is momentum measured in curved space?

Momentum in curved space is measured using the same equation as in flat space, p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. However, in curved space, the mass and velocity may change due to the curvature of the space.

3. How does momentum behave in curved space?

In curved space, momentum behaves similarly to flat space, where an object will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. However, the path of the object may be curved due to the curvature of space.

4. What is the relationship between momentum and gravity in curved space?

In curved space, momentum and gravity are closely related. The curvature of space, caused by massive objects, can affect the path of an object's momentum, causing it to accelerate towards the massive object due to the force of gravity.

5. Can momentum be conserved in curved space?

Yes, momentum can still be conserved in curved space. In the absence of external forces, the total momentum of a system will remain constant, even if the individual momentum of each object may change due to the curvature of space.