Measure the speed of earth in universe

In summary: It is simply a measurement of our velocity with respect to the cosmic microwave background, which is the closest thing we have to an "absolute" reference frame. However, this velocity has no practical consequences and is not relevant in most of our everyday experiences. In summary, experiments have shown that there is no absolute velocity in the universe and the concept of speed in the universe has no practical consequences.
snofox
suppose an electrostatic sphere and an very sensitive magnetometer are placed in a space that has magnetic field outside been screened ideally. Can we know the speed of the Earth transverse in the universe by dealing with the data obtained?

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it was established that there is no real meaning to 'speed in the universe'. All motion is relative. Michleson and Morley (1887) did a famous experiment to determine our speed through the 'aether' and detected nothing. Afaik, no one has proved otherwise.

It is already known that we are moving with respect to the CMB, which is about as close as one could reasonably get to any definition of "speed in the universe", and that speed is pretty well known. In any event it is of no consequence that I am aware of.

Which direction?

370km/s in the direction of Leo, apparently, is what the doppler shift indicates. But what does that actually mean? See this link from some while ago, on PF.

snofox said:
suppose an electrostatic sphere and an very sensitive magnetometer are placed in a space that has magnetic field outside been screened ideally. Can we know the speed of the Earth transverse in the universe by dealing with the data obtained?

Hi welcome to physicsforums! :smile:

Such experiments were done in the late 19the century and no effect was found at all. That led to the conclusion that the relativity principle must also be valid for electromagnetic effects - thus no "absolute velocity" can be measured. And from that emerged the Lorentz transformations and special relativity.

sophiecentaur said:
370km/s in the direction of Leo, apparently, is what the doppler shift indicates. But what does that actually mean? See this link from some while ago, on PF.

As I said, I don't think it has any significance. I mean, it is a physical fact, but it has no practical consequences.

Last edited:
phinds said:
As I said, I don't thing it has any significance. I mean, it is a physical fact, but it has no practical consequences.
I agree.

1. How do scientists measure the speed of Earth in the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the speed of Earth in the universe. One common method is to use the Doppler effect, which measures the change in wavelength of light as it approaches or moves away from an observer. This can be used to calculate the speed at which Earth is moving through the universe.

2. What is the current estimated speed of Earth in the universe?

The current estimated speed of Earth in the universe is approximately 828,000 km/h, or 514,500 mph. This is based on measurements using the Doppler effect and other methods, and is constantly being refined as technology advances.

3. How does the speed of Earth compare to other objects in the universe?

In terms of the observable universe, Earth's speed is relatively slow. For example, the Earth orbits around the sun at a speed of about 107,000 km/h, while the fastest known object in the universe, a pulsar in the Milky Way, travels at a speed of about 24,000,000 km/h.

4. Does Earth's speed in the universe change over time?

Yes, Earth's speed in the universe is constantly changing due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other objects and the expansion of the universe. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly impact our daily lives.

5. How is the speed of Earth in the universe relevant to scientific research?

The speed of Earth in the universe is relevant to many scientific fields, including astronomy, cosmology, and astrophysics. By understanding Earth's speed, scientists can gain insights into the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the interactions between celestial objects.