Measurement Errors in Kirchhoff's Voltage Law

In summary, during a lab exploring Kirchhoff's Laws, a procedural mistake was made while measuring voltage values across different elements. The calculated voltage sums were correct, but two loops had almost perfectly opposite voltage sums. After considering potential sources of error, it was discovered that there may have been transcription errors or a common source of error causing the opposite errors in the two loops.
Elliott Pryor

Homework Statement

For a lab, we explored Kirchhoff's Laws. I made a procedural mistake while measuring my voltage values across my different elements. I know that all of my calculated voltage sums are correct, so I was wondering what I might have done to have loops ACBA and CDBC have almost perfectly opposite voltage sums?
82882096.png

upload_2018-3-30_19-28-30.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law: Around any closed loop the sum of the voltage changes is equal to zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. Maybe I placed one probe at point B (the end of the circuit) and measured the voltage difference between each element and the end instead of across the element.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-30_19-25-11.png
    upload_2018-3-30_19-25-11.png
    9 KB · Views: 605
  • upload_2018-3-30_19-28-30.png
    upload_2018-3-30_19-28-30.png
    9 KB · Views: 2,278
  • 82882096.png
    82882096.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,018
Physics news on Phys.org
Elliott Pryor said:

Homework Statement

For a lab, we explored Kirchhoff's Laws. I made a procedural mistake while measuring my voltage values across my different elements. I know that all of my calculated voltage sums are correct, so I was wondering what I might have done to have loops ACBA and CDBC have almost perfectly opposite voltage sums?
View attachment 223092
View attachment 223091

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law: Around any closed loop the sum of the voltage changes is equal to zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. Maybe I placed one probe at point B (the end of the circuit) and measured the voltage difference between each element and the end instead of across the element.
Look for transcription errors in your recorded measurements (or you may have transcribed digits when you initially wrote down a measurement).
It may be significant that you have opposite errors of the same magnitude in two different loops. It suggests a common source for the error. What would be a common source of error for the two loops?

Last edited:
tnich said:
Look for transcription errors in your recorded measurements (or you may have transcribed digits when you initially wrote down a measurement).
It may be significant that you have opposite errors of the same magnitude in two different loops. It suggests a common source for the error. What would be a common source of error for the two loops?
Thank you! I never noticed!

1. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that states the algebraic sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. In other words, the sum of the voltage drops and rises across each element in the loop must equal the total applied voltage.

2. What are measurement errors in Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Measurement errors in KVL refer to discrepancies between the theoretical values calculated using the law and the actual measured values in a real circuit. These errors can occur due to various factors, such as limitations of the measuring equipment, imperfect components, and external influences.

3. What are the types of measurement errors in Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

There are two main types of measurement errors in KVL: systematic errors and random errors. Systematic errors occur due to consistent biases in the measurement process, while random errors are caused by unpredictable fluctuations in the measured values.

4. How can measurement errors in Kirchhoff's Voltage Law be minimized?

To minimize measurement errors in KVL, it is essential to use high-quality measuring equipment and components. Additionally, it is crucial to carefully design the circuit and minimize external influences, such as temperature changes or electromagnetic interference. Conducting multiple measurements and averaging the results can also help reduce random errors.

5. What are the implications of measurement errors in Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Measurement errors in KVL can lead to inaccurate circuit analysis and result in faulty conclusions. This can be especially problematic in critical applications, such as in medical devices or aerospace systems. It is essential to consider and account for these errors to ensure the reliability and accuracy of electrical circuits.