Measurement OF a Beamsplitter - Destroys Quantum Interference?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
61 replies · 6K views
PeroK said:
Wouldn't you also need to know the initial momentum of the photon? Measuring the recoil on the disc would give you (at best) the change in momentum of the photon.

In any case, I found this paper (which looks quite interesting) and has a discussion of this with reference to the Bohr-Einstein debates.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/701/1/012007/pdf

That paper looks amazing! Thank you very much!

I mean bouncing electrons off of tiny things like nanofabricated double slits and oil droplets etc... that's just the sandbox I'm interested in.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
This is all speculative and has no prospect of being tested experimentally any time soon.

That's too bad. This "measurement collapse" issue and quantum gravity are two things that need to be to solved.Thanks Peter for your insights, you've helped resolve much of the confusion here,
hopefully nothing is left unresolved on this thread which could potentially mislead any unwary bystander.

Cheers!