Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Measurement Values for z-component of Angular Momentum

1. Nov 18, 2017 #1
    Given a wave function $$\Psi(r,\theta,\phi)=f(r)\sin^2(\theta)(2\cos^2(\phi)-1-2i*\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi))$$ we are trying to find what a measurement of angular momentum of a particle in such wave function would yield.
    Attempts were made using the integral formula for the Expectation Value over a spherical volume: $$<\hat L_z> = \iiint\Psi^*(\hat L_z)\Psi dV$$ where $$dV=r^2\sin(\theta)drd\theta d\phi$$ and $$\hat L_z=-i\hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} ).$$ The Integral seemed really difficult to clear up and get a valid expression, which caused a doubt about whether the approach is incorrect in the first place. Any suggestions on an efficient or smarter way of approaching those types of problems?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's more useful if you try to think the wavefunction you are given with as a superposition of eigenfunctions of ##L_z##. At the same time try to get familiar with some low order spherical harmonics (e.g. in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_spherical_harmonics) and recognize how they typically depend on the angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## for a given pair of ##l## and ##m##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted