Measuring Parabolas of a Suspension Bridge - Alex

  • Thread starter Thread starter RepoMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bridges Measuring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
RepoMan
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I was given the assignment to measure the parabolas of a suspension bridge. I have some ideas for how to go about it, like using a point of reference and going out from there. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. Thanks!

Alex
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Some important aspects about a bridge to note are that:
  1. The vertex of the parabola is at the centre of the bridge, from a side view. This is obvious since it hangs freely and the lowest point would be in the middle.
  2. The heights on each end of the bridge are equal so if the vertex is at (0,0) then one end of the bridge will be at (x,h) and the other end will be at (-x,h).

This is all the information you would need to find the parabola that defines the suspension cable.