Measuring resistance of thermistor in potential dividers

In summary: That makes sense, so you use a potential divider circuit to eliminate that problem?Yes, the heat energy will affect the resistance output from the thermistor.
lefty989
Hi there, first off I hope this is ok to post here. Quite a simple question.
I have done an experiment simply to work out the resistance of a thermistor at different temperatures, I did a prelim with a simple circuit of just ohm meter + thermistor. Then I did the main one with a potential divider circuit.

1. What is the advantage of using a potential divider circuit over a simple one to measure resistance of a thermistor? (Read above)

Thanks for any replies. I'm a bit unsure as to why it would be better. :-/

Physics news on Phys.org
lefty989 said:
Hi there, first off I hope this is ok to post here. Quite a simple question.
I have done an experiment simply to work out the resistance of a thermistor at different temperatures, I did a prelim with a simple circuit of just ohm meter + thermistor. Then I did the main one with a potential divider circuit.

1. What is the advantage of using a potential divider circuit over a simple one to measure resistance of a thermistor? (Read above)

Thanks for any replies. I'm a bit unsure as to why it would be better. :-/

What were the currents flowing through the thermistor in two different circuits?
You can calculate this by getting a voltmeter and measuring the voltage output of your ohmmeter.

My voltmeter measures 3.051 vdc from my ohmmeter on the 2k ohm scale.

OmCheeto said:
What were the currents flowing through the thermistor in two different circuits?
You can calculate this by getting a voltmeter and measuring the voltage output of your ohmmeter.

My voltmeter measures 3.051 vdc from my ohmmeter on the 2k ohm scale.

Why is this necessary? I just need to know what makes this circuit a better way to do it.

But the current at say 20degrees was about 0.4 set at 20mA for potential divider. I didn't check the current for the other circuit. just had a resistance meter and thermistor.

lefty989 said:
Why is this necessary?
Because it points you to the answer.
I just need to know what makes this circuit a better way to do it.

But the current at say 20degrees was about 0.4 set at 20mA for potential divider. I didn't check the current for the other circuit. just had a resistance meter and thermistor.

You need to know how much current is flowing through the thermistor in each of the circuits, and how that current affects your readings. Are you familiar with the equations:
P = IE = I2R = V2/R

And how does P manifest itself in a purely resistive circuit?

And how does that affect R of the thermistor?

And how does that affect your measurements?

If you answer all of my questions, you will have the answer to your question.

Right... Thanks for the help..

Im not really understanding what you mean by the first question.
Yes I do know the equations.

lefty989 said:
Right... Thanks for the help..

Im not really understanding what you mean by the first question.

OmCheeto said:

(Excuse me for jumping in.)

I think OmCheeto is asking, what happens to the electrical energy when current flows through a resistor? (Hint: it gets transformed from electrical energy into ____ energy.)

Redbelly98 said:
(Excuse me for jumping in.)

I think OmCheeto is asking, what happens to the electrical energy when current flows through a resistor? (Hint: it gets transformed from electrical energy into ____ energy.)

Ahh ok. Hope I am right in saying heat energy? So a guess, does this mean the heat will affect the resistance output from the thermistor? That makes sense, so you use a potential divider circuit to eliminate that problem?
I am not quite sure why... (Is it something to do with the other resistor in series?)

1. What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance changes with temperature. It is made of semiconductor materials and is used in various applications such as temperature sensors, circuit protection, and temperature compensation in electronic devices.

2. How does a potential divider work?

A potential divider is a simple circuit that divides the input voltage into smaller output voltages. It consists of two resistors connected in series, with the output voltage taken from the junction between the two resistors. The ratio of the two resistors determines the output voltage.

3. Why is a potential divider used to measure the resistance of a thermistor?

A potential divider is used to measure the resistance of a thermistor because the resistance of a thermistor varies with temperature. By using a potential divider, the output voltage can be measured and used to calculate the resistance of the thermistor at a specific temperature.

4. How do you calculate the resistance of a thermistor using a potential divider?

To calculate the resistance of a thermistor using a potential divider, you need to measure the output voltage and the input voltage. Then, use the formula: R = (Vout / Vin) * R2, where R is the resistance of the thermistor, Vout is the output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, and R2 is the known resistance in the potential divider.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the resistance of a thermistor in potential dividers?

The accuracy of measuring the resistance of a thermistor in potential dividers can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the input and output voltage measurements, the accuracy of the known resistance in the potential divider, and external factors like temperature changes and electrical noise. It is important to use high-quality equipment and calibrate the circuit to ensure accurate measurements.