How can I waterproof an electrical component?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to measure temperature in a water heating system using an NTC3950 thermistor. They plan to use an immersion rod and are wondering how to waterproof the thermistor. Several suggestions are given, including encasing the thermistor in silicone, using thermocouples instead, purchasing a waterproof thermistor probe, or creating a custom "thermometer well" for the thermistor. Other options mentioned include using glass probe thermistors or coating the thermistors with epoxy.
thegreengineer
Good evening, it's been a while since my last thread here in PF. I will go straight to the point:
I want to measure temperature using an NTC3950 thermistor. My circuit diagram is as follows:
52602050_2283098551974676_3639846829010452480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fntr6-2.jpg

It's basically a voltage divider. By varying the temperature acting upon the thermistor the output voltage will change as well.
The thing is that I was given the task to measure the temperature in a water heating system, and I required on using a thermistor.
1000-immersion-rod-1-0-kw-sun-flame-original-imaffca6dyvx5g9y.jpg

To heat the water, I will use an immersion rod, like the one on the previous photo. The "tank" is basically a plastic container like the one in the photo.
protein-HDPE-bottle-manufacturers-plastic-powder-containers.jpg_350x350.jpg

Since plastic doesn't conduct heat so well, I need to put the thermistor inside the water-filled container. My issue is the following: how can I waterproof the thermistor? Can I use nail polish or silicone to waterproof? I would appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• 52602050_2283098551974676_3639846829010452480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fntr6-2.jpg
    52602050_2283098551974676_3639846829010452480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fntr6-2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 774
  • 1000-immersion-rod-1-0-kw-sun-flame-original-imaffca6dyvx5g9y.jpg
    1000-immersion-rod-1-0-kw-sun-flame-original-imaffca6dyvx5g9y.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 611
  • protein-HDPE-bottle-manufacturers-plastic-powder-containers.jpg_350x350.jpg
    protein-HDPE-bottle-manufacturers-plastic-powder-containers.jpg_350x350.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
I have waterproofed temperature sensors by encasing them in silicone. Ordinary clear silicone bathroom caulk from the hardware store works well.

I work with hot water tanks, which use heating elements which are controlled using thermocouples. Thermocouples are naturally waterproof and typical for use in temperature control/monitoring. They can come in any length, I use either 1m or 5m long 3mm diameter thermocouples in my work. It could be an already waterproof alternative for your needs.

Thermistors are more common in freezers as they react more to cold than thermocouples do.

phyzguy said:
I have waterproofed temperature sensors by encasing them in silicone. Ordinary clear silicone bathroom caulk from the hardware store works well.
If the water is for consumption the silicone needs to be food safe. Bathroom caulk contains mildewcides.

Likes phyzguy
I have used liquid electrical tape before. Realize it will insulate a little and temperature changes will be a little delayed.

71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• 71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg
    71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 562
Buy a waterproof thermistor probe.

Likes berkeman
If your app is quality critical, may I suggest that you consider commercial 'spike' type probes ? Their response curve should be provided, you just have to routinely confirm your sensor's calibration at several temperatures versus a 'traceable' instrument...

Plan_B may be to craft a robust, product-compatible 'thermometer well', put your thermistor in that.
Upside, custom made to suit pot, no worries about 'creepage' and flexing.
Downside, takes rather longer to equilibrate, a response time you must establish and document. A few drops of thin silicone oil may help heat transfer...

Search the online catalog stores for Glass Probe Thermistor. They start around US $1.50.
Google search for Glass Probe Thermistor.
Since this is a school project, there may be some Sodium Silicate solution ("liquid glass") around there you could use for waterproofing.
Many, not all, thermistors are Epoxy coated and will last long enough for a few experiments if the coating is not damaged.
Mix some Epoxy and coat whatever thermistors you have.

Any coating will increase the response time some, but most will not affect the accuracy.

Cheers,
Tom

1. How can I waterproof an electrical component?

There are a few different methods for waterproofing an electrical component. One option is to use a waterproof coating or sealant, such as silicone or epoxy, to cover the component. Another method is to use a waterproof enclosure or casing to protect the component. Additionally, you can use waterproof connectors and wires to ensure that all connections are protected from water.

2. What types of coatings are best for waterproofing electrical components?

Silicone and epoxy are both commonly used for waterproofing electrical components. Silicone is flexible and can be applied easily, while epoxy forms a strong, durable seal. Other options include polyurethane and acrylic coatings, which are also effective at keeping water out.

3. Can I waterproof an electrical component myself?

Yes, it is possible to waterproof an electrical component yourself. However, it is important to have a good understanding of electrical components and proper waterproofing techniques. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional to ensure that the component is properly waterproofed.

4. How can I test if an electrical component is waterproof?

One way to test if an electrical component is waterproof is to submerge it in water and see if any water seeps in. Another method is to use a specialized waterproof testing device, which applies pressure and measures any leaks. It is important to note that even if a component is waterproof, it may not be able to withstand prolonged exposure to water or extreme conditions.

5. Are there any safety concerns when waterproofing electrical components?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when waterproofing electrical components. It is important to ensure that the component is disconnected from any power source before waterproofing. Additionally, make sure to use waterproofing materials and techniques that are appropriate for electrical components to avoid any potential hazards.