1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the average speed of an object

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6093/img009h.jpg [Broken]

With the above, I really have no idea other than the standard s=d/t formula, but I doubt that has anything to do with it for a question worth 3 marks, and then looking at the two questions below, it'd make no sense.

The other idea I had was finding the total time, then the area under the graph for d, giving you s=d/t again, but using the method I just described. Then 25c would be answered by saying that finding instantaneous speed required a tangent drawn to the point etc, as opposed to the whole area under the curve.

Is the idea of finding d and t using area under the graph right, or am I way off?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Bump. :)

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    dude look a) Vm=X-X0/T-T0=deltaX/deltaT so this is for the avarage speed .

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4
    I've never heard of this formula before, so it's something which we haven't covered in class yet. Hence - it can't be right.

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    ah i now , now it is about the uinits i wrote them in my lenguage but this formula is for the avarage speed but i dont now how to writte them in english sorry but it is the formula for avarage speed

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6
    and another thing the avarage speed u can discribe it like this if a car moves with a speed of 3 km/h at the start and 5 km/h at the end u cant put together 5 + 3 and get 8km/h then divide it by 2. 8:2=4km/h so the avarage speed now is 4 km/h so even if the car dosent achive to have this speed but it is simpel to tell that the car can end the road at this speed sorry for my english i now it is bad but it is my 4 lenguage and i am learning it now since 4 months but i see i get better

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7
    I'm aware that there is a formula for average speed (s=d/t), but something like that wouldn't cut it for a 3 mark question, especially when there's two follow-on questions after it. The question also asks how you would measure the average speed, rather than what average speed is.

Also, don't worry about your English, it's not that bad! ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook