Measuring the wavelength and position of a photon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
zing478
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A wavelength measurement gives Lambda= 6000 x 10^-10m with an accuracy of one part in a million. What is the minimum uncertainty in the position of the photon?


Homework Equations


deltaP*deltaX > h/4pi

p = h/lambda


The Attempt at a Solution


In order to solve, I know deltaP has to be expressed in terms of deltaLambda. Delta lambda is (6000 x 10^-10)(1 x 10^-6) = 6 x 10^-13.

delta P = dp/dLambda * deltaLambda

I'm not sure how to solve this relationship to get an expression for deltaLambda, to plug back into the original

deltaX > h/(4pi)(deltaP)

Once I get the expression for momentum in terms of lambda, I think I just sub it back in and solve for deltaX.

Any help? or have I done anything wrong so far?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok - One has [itex]\Delta\lambda[/itex], from which one can obtain [itex]\Delta[/itex]E.

What is the relationship between E and p for a photon?
 
Well, E = hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

From de Broglies wavelength equation,
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = h/p

so here [tex]\Delta[/tex]E=[tex]\Delta[/tex]pc

So to find the uncertainty in position, I have [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex], change that to [tex]\Delta[/tex]E. From there I can get [tex]\Delta[/tex]p, and

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = h/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]p

Where [tex]\Delta[/tex]x is the minimum uncertainty in position?

Does that make sense?