Mechanical Advantage of a 4-bar

In summary, the problem involves finding the mechanical advantage at two different angles, 104° and 91°, using the equation (rin/rout) * (ωin/ωout). The angles θ3 and θ4 can be measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, and the method of virtual work for statics can be used to solve the problem. It is also noted that the original figure provided for the problem is poorly drawn and may need to be adjusted.
gocomando
Alright, the problem at a glance is rather simple: find the mechanical advantage at two given values of θ2.

Given:
rO2A = r2
r02C = rin
rAB = r3
rO4B = r4
rO4D = rout
rO2O4 = r1
θ1 = 135°

Find:
Mechanical advantage when θ2 is equal to 104°, and when θ2 is equal to 91°.

Equations to use:
Mech advantage = (rin/rout) * (ωin/ωout) (I think this is the one I'm supposed to use)EDIT: Turns out we're allowed to simply measure the actual angle provided in the problem. Now, since this 4-bar is inverted, how exactly do I measure the angle θ3 andθ4?

EDIT: I believe I'm supposed to measure from the positive x-axis counterclockwise until I get to the link. Using this, I got θ3= -57 and θ4 = 187. From here though, how might I find (ωin/ωout)? I have the vector loop equation R2 + R3 = R4 + R1, and when I get the corresponding velocity equations, R4 is in there making things complicated.

f5ac5b24-a8b8-40af-98ce-19f0b54007d8_zpsa42f5a1b.jpg

20141103_015951_zps27yjezvl.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

The original figure is poorly drawn. If Fin is as shown, then the equilibrating force on the linkage at D must be upward, opposite the direction shown.

Do you know the method of virtual work for statics? This problem is a natural for that method.

What is a 4-bar mechanism?

A 4-bar mechanism is a mechanical system that consists of four rigid bars connected by four joints. It is commonly used in machines and devices to convert motion or force from one form to another.

What is the mechanical advantage of a 4-bar mechanism?

The mechanical advantage of a 4-bar mechanism refers to the ratio of the output force to the input force. It is determined by the design and geometry of the mechanism and can vary depending on the specific application.

How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a 4-bar mechanism?

The mechanical advantage of a 4-bar mechanism can be calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. It can also be determined by analyzing the lengths and positions of the bars in the mechanism using mathematical equations and principles of kinematics.

What are the different types of mechanical advantage in a 4-bar mechanism?

The different types of mechanical advantage in a 4-bar mechanism include velocity ratio, force ratio, and mechanical advantage ratio. The velocity ratio is the ratio of the input velocity to the output velocity, while the force ratio is the ratio of the output force to the input force. The mechanical advantage ratio is the ratio of the output force to the input force, taking into account the direction and magnitude of the force.

How does the mechanical advantage of a 4-bar mechanism affect its performance?

The mechanical advantage of a 4-bar mechanism can greatly impact its performance. A higher mechanical advantage means that the output force is greater than the input force, resulting in a larger output motion or force. This can be beneficial in applications where a larger output is desired, but it can also come with trade-offs such as increased complexity or decreased speed.