1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Lagrange first kind equations

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two masses move in a plane restricted to concentric circles with radii R1 and R2. They are joined by a solid rod of length B. Use Lagrange first order equations to find the equilibrium point

2. Relevant equations
    Constraint due to the solid bar: B = R12 + R22 -2R1R2cos(θ1 + θ2), where θ1 and θ2 are the polar coordinates of the masses.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My Langrangian is as follows: L = (m/2)(R12ω12+R22ω22)-mg(sinθ1+sinθ2)
    By substituing in this expression http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_mechanics#Lagrange_equations_of_the_first_kind I find two equations of motion:
    -mgcos(θ1)+mR12+α1 + R1R2sin(θ1 - θ2)λ1 = 0
    -mgcos(θ2)+mR22+α2 - R1R2sin(θ1 - θ2)λ2 = 0
    where α1 and α2 are the angular accelerations of the masses, and the λs are the Lagrange multipliers. I can't solve this equations, though. Is there any method of solving them that I cannot find or is it that my whole procedure is wrong?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show us what your Lagrangian looks like, that you use to derive these equations of motion?
    You denoted the constraint by ##L##, but I don't think that expression is your Lagrangian because I don't see a kinetic term.

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3
    Sorry, its a bit confusing because the length of the bar is L. I'll change it to B and edit the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted