1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Energy loss due to NC Forces: two railroad cars collide.

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    [SOLVED-Thanks AL]Mechanical Energy loss due to NC Forces: two railroad cars collide.

SOLVED! - Thanks Al!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two railroad cars each of mass 4800 kg and traveling @ 80 km/h collide head on and come to rest. How much thermal energy is produced in this collision?

2. Relevant equations

[tex] E_k + E_p = E^{'}_k + E^{'}_p + Q [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem does not use momentum. Energy considerations only.

I treat one car as a single entity.

Energy before = energy after.

There was only an initial kinetic energy at the beginning and no kinetic energy afterwards. so i assume all the energy was transformed to Q.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = Q [/tex]

after finding 80 km/h = 22.2222... m/s

i solved and got 1.2 x 10^6 J, the answer is double that, 2.4 x 10^6 J, where did i go wrong?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There are two moving trains. :wink:

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    OH! I only calculated the amount of thermal energy one train would release, and not the other. So the answer would be Q of both trains (KE of train one + the KE of train two) as it's released simultaneously ?? Ugh... i thought i'd isolate only one train because I wasn't dealing with momentum.. got my head stuck in dynamics :) Thanks a lot Doc!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook