Rail Car with a Sail in the Wind

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle colliding with a car on rails. Three equations are given, two for momentum conservation and one for energy conservation. The third equation, which takes into account the orientation of the rails, is questioned and discussed further. It is suggested that the normal component of velocity will be zero for both the car and the particle after the collision due to a reaction impulse from the rail. The momentum conservation equation only holds for the parallel components before and after the collision.
Hello everyone, I must admit that I recently failed to find exact solution for equations I wrote above. I can of course make a brute-force or even gradient based solution, but exact analytical solution I can not, I am already spent too much time for it. So if you have some ready to show solution, I'll be very thankful for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
MaratZakirov said:
Hello everyone, I must admit that I recently failed to find exact solution for equations I wrote above. I can of course make a brute-force or even gradient based solution, but exact analytical solution I can not, I am already spent too much time for it. So if you have some ready to show solution, I'll be very thankful for that.
I find it easier to drop the vector form for a problem like this. I set the angle of the sail to rail as theta, incoming particle to sail as phi, departing angle to sail as psi, incoming speed u, departing speed u', cart's acquired speed v.
I got a rather messy quadratic in x where ##x=\frac{u'^2}{u^2}##.

Please post your working as far as you get.