Mechanical Engineering or......Maths?

In summary, the speaker is a college sophomore studying engineering who has a passion for solving math problems, particularly Calculus. However, they have lost interest in their physics classes due to the difficulty and time commitment. The speaker has a fascination with trains and is interested in the design and testing of new trains, which they believe requires a combination of electrical, mechanical, computer, chemical, and civil engineering skills. They think that designing a train involves multiple teams working on different components.
I'm currently a rising sophomore in college on track for engineering. I have to say, I love solving math problems, especially Calculus. I love Calculus.
I started to take physics classes and I started to lose interest, mainly because its difficult and requires a lot of extra time to study, time I sometimes don't have. I've always been fascinated with trains and train systems. I love the uniformity and how amazingly fast they can go, but I've always been interested in the wheels and how they turn and how they behave during emergency breaking at high speeds. What engineering field would cover designing and testing new trains?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think trains have many systems and subsystems that span the breadth of engineering. I would guess that designing a train requires electrical, mechanical, computer, chemical and civil engineering skill. Teams of people working on different components.

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and mathematics?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Mathematics, on the other hand, is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes and their relationships. Mechanical engineering relies heavily on mathematical concepts and formulas to solve problems and design systems.

2. Can you give an example of how mechanical engineering and mathematics are related?

One example of how mechanical engineering and mathematics are related is in the design of a car engine. Mechanical engineers use mathematical equations to determine the optimal size and placement of engine components, as well as to calculate the power and efficiency of the engine.

3. What skills are important for a career in mechanical engineering or mathematics?

Some important skills for a career in mechanical engineering or mathematics include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills. Both fields also require a strong foundation in math and science.

4. What are the job opportunities for someone with a degree in mechanical engineering or mathematics?

Graduates with degrees in mechanical engineering or mathematics have a wide range of job opportunities, including roles in engineering firms, manufacturing companies, research and development, and academia. They can also pursue careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, and consulting.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to be successful in mechanical engineering?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for success in mechanical engineering. Many concepts and principles in mechanical engineering rely heavily on mathematical equations and calculations. Without a strong understanding of math, it can be challenging to excel in this field.

Suggested for: Mechanical Engineering or......Maths?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views