Mechanical Engineering or Microbiology?

In summary, the Bangladeshi woman is undecided about her future career path, but she loves the practical classes in biology. She is unsure if she should pursue a career in microbiology or mechanical engineering, but she is open to other suggestions.
DarkOni
hey there...just wondering if I can get some suggestions choosing the sub I want to grad. from..

The thing is that I just finished my high school n now got chance in both Mechanical Engineering n Microbiology...I think I'm pretty good at Physics..n also in Math n Biology...tho I really don't like Chemistry..mostly the Organic part..and I think that it'll really be hard for me 2 study any sub without Physics..n I've always wanted 2 study ME...but now I'm really confused if I will get any good job if I graduate from ME...n in our country(a 3rd world country..Bangladesh) when it comes 2 ME jobs ppl really prefer guys over girls..cause they say we have some limitations n not good enough for outdoor works...but I love practical classes n would love 2 work outdoors...but I heard Microbiology has better job opportunity..now I'm really confused which sub I should pursue...if any1 can please give me some suggestions..

Physics news on Phys.org
DarkOni said:
if any1 can please give me some suggestions..

Do you guys have bio-medical engineering? I think that's actually a great marriage of your two interests, though I have no idea what the bio-tech industry is like in Bangladesh.

How badly are women discriminated against? Is it moderately harder to get jobs or insanely more difficult? There are lots of labs in microbiology, and you can do field studies, and in the end microbiology may actually have as much/more hands on stuff then mechE.

nope..there's no Bio-medical eng. here...n tho I'm good @ Biology, I've no interest
in it. And ME is my dream sub.
story645 said:
How badly are women discriminated against? Is it moderately harder to get jobs or insanely more difficult?
Well u'll get a job maybe..but after the hard time in Eng. college u may not like a low paid job n in my case a desk job. And there maybe a clause like "Will prefer male candidates".

thnx for ur kind reply..

Do mechanical engineering if that is what you want to do and then move.

DarkOni said:
nope..there's no Bio-medical eng. here...n tho I'm good @ Biology, I've no interest in it. And ME is my dream sub.

That's what always throws people for a loop. Bio-med has a ton of mechE in it, it's just specialized and applied.

I almost always suggest going with what you love and dealing with the consequences later, but I get that in your case it'll probably be torture. If moving isn't an option after you graduate, you may want to do microbiology with a strong biophysics bent, if you have that option. Another option may be chemical engineering with a structural focus.

story645 said:
I almost always suggest going with what you love and dealing with the consequences later
maybe I'll do that...gonna try out the luck thingy..I already choose ME over CheE n Electronics & Communications Engineering..so can't switch now...thnx a lot u ppl..

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It involves the application of principles of physics, materials science, and mathematics to create efficient and functional machines, tools, and structures.

2. What are the key areas of focus in mechanical engineering?

The key areas of focus in mechanical engineering include mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and design. Mechanics deals with the study of forces and motion, while thermodynamics deals with the transfer of energy. Materials science involves the study of the properties and behavior of materials, and design involves creating and optimizing mechanical systems.

3. What is the role of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer designs, develops, and tests mechanical systems and devices. They work on a wide range of projects, from small individual components to large systems. They also analyze the performance of existing systems and make improvements to increase efficiency, safety, and reliability.

4. What is microbiology?

Microbiology is the study of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa. It involves the study of their structure, function, and interactions with their environment. Microbiologists use various techniques to isolate, identify, and study microorganisms, and their research is important in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science.

5. What are the different branches of microbiology?

The different branches of microbiology include medical microbiology, environmental microbiology, industrial microbiology, agricultural microbiology, and food microbiology. Medical microbiology focuses on the study of microorganisms that cause diseases, while environmental microbiology studies microorganisms in the natural environment. Industrial microbiology involves the use of microorganisms in industrial processes, and agricultural and food microbiology focus on microorganisms involved in food production and preservation.