Mechanical Engineering Streeses

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum tensile and compressive stresses experienced by a rectangular tube when subjected to a bending moment of 20KNm. The participants mention using "Second moments of area" and provide helpful resources for finding the stress equation for a beam in symmetric bending. They also mention considering the neutral axis and determining which side of the tube is in tension/compression.
chrisking2021
Mechanical Engineering Stresses

I am really struggling with the following problem:

A rectangular tube with no given length has the dimensions shown in the diagram (within the attachment). Find the maximum tensile and compressive stresses that such a section will experience due to a bending moment of 20KNm.

The attachment should be included if I've done it right.

I think i should be using "Second moments of area", but I'm not sure some clarification and possibly the formula would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Chris:confused:

Attachments

• Example diagram.JPG
    Example diagram.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the definition (mathematical) of normal stress due to a bending moment?

how is the bending moment applied? is the bar in torsion?

That tube works as a beam. From here, Google is your friend.

think about the neutral axis and which side is in tension/compression then use the stress equation for a beam in symmetric (assuming) bending. simple. but I've done it a few times.

What is mechanical engineering stress?

Mechanical engineering stress refers to the internal forces or reactions experienced by a material when subjected to external loads or forces. These stresses can cause deformation or failure of the material, and are an important consideration in the design and analysis of mechanical components.

What are the different types of mechanical engineering stresses?

The three main types of mechanical engineering stresses are tensile stress, compressive stress, and shear stress. Tensile stress occurs when a material is pulled apart, compressive stress occurs when a material is squeezed, and shear stress occurs when a material is subjected to forces acting in opposite directions along its surface.

How is mechanical engineering stress calculated?

Mechanical engineering stress is typically calculated using the formula stress = force/area. This means that the stress is directly proportional to the applied force and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the material. It is important to note that stress is a measure of force per unit area and is typically expressed in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What factors can affect mechanical engineering stresses?

There are several factors that can affect mechanical engineering stresses, including the type of material, the shape and size of the component, and the magnitude and direction of the applied forces. Other factors such as temperature, corrosive environments, and manufacturing processes can also have an impact on stresses.

Why is it important to consider mechanical engineering stresses in design?

Mechanical engineering stresses are critical to consider in design because they can affect the safety, reliability, and performance of a component. By understanding and predicting the stresses that a material will experience, engineers can design structures that can withstand these forces and avoid failure or deformation. This is essential in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction where safety and performance are top priorities.