1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    Hi, Im a College (Sixth Form) student here in the UK aspiring to go into Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering but not quite sure which one to go into.

As far as interest is concerned, I think Im leaning more toward Aerospace than Mechanical but Ive heard that an Aerospace degree would not be as versatile/marketable as a Mechanical one and that Mechanical Engineers can go into the Aerospace industry but Aerospace Engineers are pretty constrained compared to Mechanical Engineers; Im not sure about the veracity of that but I know that the degree content is quite similar anyway in which case, if it really makes a significant difference, I think I could sacrifice interest for a better career opportunity.

Ive done well academically so far (6 A*s, 4 As at GCSE and just got my As results: 5 As) so getting into a good University wont be a problem. I just need some advice, thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2
    ya it's true that with mechanical engg. background you can go into aerospace field.
    many courses are similar, but some of them are entirely different.
    It all depends on your interest.
    for better career option, I would suggest you to go for mechanical engg. It's wide applications will open many promising opportunities in future, and in case if you want to come bak to pursue your interest further in aerospace engg., it would be easy.

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3
    I actually faced a similar decision and I chose mechanical for basically the same reason you decided. A bit more versatile after graduation than aerospace. I've always thought that I would still want to go to the aerospace field after graduation, but I've come across enough interesting topics in mechanical engineering, I'm not so sure anymore.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    I think you should go with aerospace engineering because you love it,i mean in any bad situation your love may fuel you to move foreward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook