Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mechanical sinusoidal transverse wave

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] mechanical waves

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sinusoidal transverse wave is traveling along a string in the negative direction of an x-axis. The figure shows a plot of the displacement as a function of position at time t=0; the y-intercept is 4.0m. The string tension is 6.8N, and its linear density is 47.22 g/m.

Find the amplitude (cm).
    Find the wavelength (cm).
    Find the wave speed (cm/s).
    Find the period of the wave.
    Find the maximum transverse speed of a particle in the string.
    What is the phase angle in degrees?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So linear density is the mass per unit length. it's not in the units we want (kg/cm), so convert and get 4.722E-4 kg/cm.
    wave speed = sqrt(T/wave length) = sqrt(6.8/4.722E-4), but this isn't the right answer. did i convert wrong?

also i'm having trouble finding the amplitude and wave length, probably for the same reason as above.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2
    it is better to start from meter and kg, since N is in terms of these SI units. after calculation, you can always convert back to cm to give answers.

4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    ok, got that wavelength wave sped and period. what is the difference between wave speed and max transverse speed? also, i'm sure this is really obvious but i can't figure out the amplitude either

5. Apr 6, 2008 #4
    never mind i got it, thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook