Mechanical wave reflection at a boundary

In summary, the conversation focuses on the boundary conditions and equations for various sections (A, B, and C) of a wave. The equations involve complex exponentials and constants A, A', B, and B'. By applying the boundary conditions, we can solve for A' and make some progress in finding the solution to the problem.
Toby_phys

Homework Statement

Capture.jpg

Homework Equations

The right hand section (A) has an incident and reflected wave
$$y_1=Ae^{i(kx+\omega t)} +A'e^{i(-kx+\omega t)} $$

The middle section (B) has a transmission reflected wave

$$y_2=Be^{i(k_2x+\omega t)} +B'e^{i(-k_2x+\omega t)}$$

Section (C) just has the transmission wave:
$$y_3=Ce^{i(kx+\omega t)}$$

where ##k=2\pi / \lambda## and ##\omega = 2\pi \upsilon ##. The actual wave is the real part of the complex exponential.

We have the boundary conditions:

$$(1)y_3(0,t)=y_2(0,t) \text{ and } (2)\frac{\partial y_3(0,t)}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial y_2(0,t)}{\partial x}$$
and
$$(3) y_1(a,t)=y_2(a,t) \text{ and } (4) \frac{\partial y_1(a,t)}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial y_2(a,t)}{\partial x}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

by applying condition 1:
$$C=B+B'$$
condition 2:
$$Ck=(B-B')k_1 $$
condition 3:
$$Ae^{i(2\pi n k/k_1)}+A'e^{i(2\pi n k/k_1)}=B+B'$$
condition 4:
$$Ake^{i(2\pi n k/k_1)}-A'ke^{i(2\pi n k/k_1)}=k_1(B-B')$$We get ##A'=0## but that is the only progression I can make.

Please help, thank you x

Physics news on Phys.org
Toby_phys said:
We get A'=0 but that is the only progression I can make.
Two of your equations have B+B' on the right hand side. Match those up.

1. What is mechanical wave reflection at a boundary?

Mechanical wave reflection at a boundary refers to the phenomenon where a mechanical wave traveling through a medium encounters a boundary and part of the wave is reflected back into the original medium.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect mechanical wave reflection at a boundary?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the wave approaches the boundary, determines the angle of reflection. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, meaning that the wave will bounce off the boundary at the same angle it approached from.

3. What types of mechanical waves can be reflected at a boundary?

All types of mechanical waves, such as sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves, can be reflected at a boundary. The properties of the medium and the angle of incidence will determine the extent of the reflection.

4. How is the amplitude of a reflected wave affected by mechanical wave reflection at a boundary?

The amplitude of a reflected wave is affected by the properties of the medium and the angle of incidence. In some cases, the reflected wave may have a larger or smaller amplitude than the incident wave, while in other cases, the amplitude may remain the same.

5. What factors can cause mechanical wave reflection at a boundary to occur?

Mechanical wave reflection at a boundary can occur due to differences in the density, elasticity, or temperature of the two mediums at the boundary. The angle of incidence and the wavelength of the wave can also play a role in the extent of reflection.