1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics. Circular motion and rotation

1. May 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An aeroplane loops the loop in a vertical circle of radius 200 m, with a speed of 40 m s^-1 at the top of the loop. The pilot has a mass of 80 kg. What is the tention in the strap holding him into his seat when he is at the top of the loop?

Answer: 160 N.

2. Relevant equations
    A-Level Physics, chapter 6 formulas:
    w = Angle / t
    T = 2Pi / w
    v = wr
    a = w^2 * r
    a = v^2 / r

3. The attempt at a solution
    r = 200 m
    v / u ? = 40 m s^-1
    m = 80 kg

Attempt 1. 1/2 mv^2 = mgr -> 64 000 = 160 000. Wrong.
    Attempt 2. F = ma -> a = w^2 * r -> v = wr -> 40 = w*200 -> w = 0.2 rad s -> a = 0.2^2 * 200 = 8 -> F = 80*8 = 640 N. Wrong.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You need to include units. Attempt two is close, you ignored gravity. You could have got there faster using your last relevant equation.

4. May 3, 2015 #3
    You are right indeed about a = v^2 / r, thank you.

So F = ma - mg = 640 - 80*10 (for simplicity reasons) = -160 N ?
    or F = mg - ma = 800 - 640 = 160 N. Does fit the book answer but why mg first? Maybe a silly question, but still.

And by units you mean F = ma = 80 kg * 8 m s^1 instead of 80*8?

5. May 3, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Units: yes, makes it easier to understand your work, and many markers will subtract marks for missing units.

The question asks for tension, which is always positive.

6. May 3, 2015 #5
    Not sure where to post a second question, I think I'll better ask it here.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass 0.30 kg moves with an angular velocity of 10 rad s^1 in a horizontal circle 20 cm inside a smooth hemispherical bowl. FInd the reaction of the bowl on the particle and the radius of the bowl.

Answer: 6.7 N, 22 cm

2. Relevant equations
    R sin angle = mv^2 / r
    R cos angle = mg
    tan angle = v^2 / gr
    F sin angle = mv^2 / r
    F cos angle = mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/circular-motion-particle-in-a-bowl.252962/
    I am a bit lost because in this link with a wrong (according to the book the answer is 6.7 N) 6 N answer Thanuka got 22.3 cm, a relatively correct answer... And how to get the 6.7 N answer as in the book?

7. May 3, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 6N at that link is for the centripetal force, which is only the horizontal component of the reaction. The 6.7 N is the entire reaction.

[It is generally preferred that you start a new thread for each problem.]

8. May 4, 2015 #7
    Thank you. But in that case horizontal F = m(w^2)*r = 0.3 kg * 10^2 rads^-1 * 0.2 m = 6 N. And vertical F = mg = 0.3 kg * 10 (simplified g) = 3 N. In that case 6 N + 3 N = 9 N and not 6.7 N. Could you elaborate a bit on how to get 6.7 N? The bowl is smooth so I consider the only vertical force is gravity (F=mg).

UPD: and for the second part I don't quite understand why it is
    Rcos theta= 6N as centripetal force is 6N
    Rsin theta = 3N as mass of the particle is 0.3kg

and not R sin = 6 N for hor and R cos = 3 N for ver. Everywhere in the book the horizontal is sin and vertical is cos. Plus the angle which is created by the normal reaction also shows the same.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  9. May 4, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This give you an idea ?

Add_vecs.jpg
    Did you make your own drawing already (to see what's this sine and cosine business) ?

10. May 4, 2015 #9
    I actually made a same drawing though instead of 3 N and 6 N I had R cos angle and R sin angle. Now I get the second part: cos angle = 6 N / R -> R cos angle = 6 N and sin angle = 3 N / R -> R sin angle = 3 N.

But I still don't quite understand how to get the 6.7 N answer from the book for the first part.

11. May 4, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try finding how much ?? is ...

12. May 4, 2015 #11
    R = 3 / sin angle
    R = 6 / cos angle

3/sin angle = 6/cos angle
    3 cos angle = 6 sin angle
    cos angle = 2 sin angle

?

13. May 4, 2015 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you telling me you have difficulty calculating the hypothenuse of a triangle with short sides 6 and 3 ?

14. May 4, 2015 #13
    3^2+6^2 = 45, root 45 = 6.7 N... I really was looking for something complicated and totally forgot the basics. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted