Mechanics: conservation of momentum problem

In summary, the problem involves an elastic collision between an atom of mass 2mp with initial velocity vo and an atom at rest with mass 3mp. After the collision, the first atom's trajectory deviates 30 degrees from the initial. The question is what angle the second atom will travel from the first atom's initial trajectory. To solve this, conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations are used. After solving for v1' and v2', it is possible to find the angle θ2 using trigonometric identities. The approach may involve some algebra and a quadratic equation, but it ultimately leads to a solution.
swindhspectrum
Here's the problem:

An atom of mass 2mp with an anitial velocity vo undergos an elastic collision with an atom at rest with mass 3mp. After the collision, the first atoms trajectory deviates 30 degrees from the initial. What angle does the second atom travel from the first atoms initial trajectory?

I used conservation of momentum to get

2vo = (3)^(1/2)v1' + 3 cos(θ2) v2'

and

v1' = -3 sin(θ2)v2'

I used conservation of kinetic energy to arrive at

2(vo)^2 = 2(v1')^2 + 3(v2')^2.

So there are three equations and three unknowns (θ, v1' and v2').

After 18 pages of algebra I've decided to ask for some help. Are there trig identies that would help. I am also given θ = -65.2 but only to check with my answer, and working backwards from it didn't help.

Please, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
swindhspectrum said:
I used conservation of momentum to get

2vo = (3)^(1/2)v1' + 3 cos(θ2) v2'

and

v1' = -3 sin(θ2)v2'
Try combining these using [itex]\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1[/itex]. Combine that result with your equation for conservation of energy to solve for v1' & v2'.

thanks, i was skeptical of that approach but it worked out after a mess of algebra and a quadratic equation to solve

1. What is the conservation of momentum principle?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on it. This means that the initial momentum of a system will be equal to the final momentum after any interactions or collisions take place.

2. How is momentum calculated in mechanics?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. It is represented by the symbol p and has the unit of kilogram-meter per second (kg⋅m/s).

3. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

A common example of a conservation of momentum problem is a collision between two objects. For instance, when a cue ball strikes a stationary pool ball, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. Does the conservation of momentum principle apply to all types of collisions?

Yes, the conservation of momentum principle applies to all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved.

5. How does the conservation of momentum principle relate to Newton's third law of motion?

The conservation of momentum principle is directly related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the momentum of two objects involved in a collision will be equal and opposite to each other.