Conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions

In summary, the question asks to calculate the threshold energy for a particle collision reaction, and the answer is given in terms of various particle masses. The solution involves computing a Lorentz invariant and considering the final momentum state as (E, pA). The threshold occurs when the products are at relative rest, so in their rest frame, Pf = (M,0) and Pf^2 = M^2.
Lukanol
1. Homework Statement

( This question is from the textbook of Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics, written by Griffiths, on the problem set of Chapter 3 )

Particle A (energy E) hits particle B (at rest), producing particles C1, C2, ...: A + B → C1 + C2 + ... + CN. Calculate the threshold (i.e. minimum E) for this reaction, in terms of the various particle masses.

[ Answer: ( M2 - m2A - m2B ) / ( 2mB ), where M = m1 + m2 + ... + mn ]

2. Homework Equations

Assuming that c = 1 and h = 1,

Before collision:
pμ i = ( EA + mB , pA )

After collision:
pμ f = ( M , 0 )
, where M = m1 + m2 + ... + mn
, and subsctibe i and f represents initial and final state of collision.

pμpμ = m2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the answer but I do not understand why momentum pA seems to be not conserved if I want to get the answer.

(a). I assumed that the energy-momentum four vector is conserved.

(b). I simply calculate ( pμi )2 = ( pμf )2, then I solve for EA .
⇒ ( EA + mB )2 - pA2 = M 2
, then I solved for EA by subsituting pA2 with EA2 = mA2 + pA2

(c) My question is: why should I consider the final momentum state as:
pμf = ( M, 0 )
, but not something like:
pμf = ( Ej + M , pCj )
for M = M - mj
Shouldn't the momentum be conserved, just like a ball hitting a bunch of balls when playing snooker?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are computing a Lorentz invariant. This has the same value in all inertial frames and you can therefore just as well compute it in the CoM frame.

Likes Lukanol
Lukanol said:
(c) My question is: why should I consider the final momentum state as:
pμf = ( M, 0 )
, but not something like:
pμf = ( Ej + M , pCj )
for M = M - mj
Shouldn't the momentum be conserved, just like a ball hitting a bunch of balls when playing snooker?
##p^\mu_\text{f} = (M,0)## is wrong. You should say it's ##p^\mu_\text{f} = (E,\vec{p}_\text{A})##. You got the right answer because your calculation involves only ##p_\text{f}^2##, which is an invariant.

Likes Lukanol
Thanks!

Does that mean, for the equation below, $$\left( E_A + m_B \right)^2 - \vec p_A^2 = M^2,$$ I actually used the invariant property of ## (p_f^\mu)^2 = M^2 ## on the right-hand side, while on the left-hand side I used the "dot product" of ## (p_i^\mu)^2 ##?

But then why:$$ \frac {M^2- m_A^2 - m_B^2} {2m_B},$$ is the threshold (minimum E) for this reaction?
If the reaction is explosive, such that particle ## C_1, C_2, ..., C_N## has momentum ##\vec p_1, \vec p_2, ..., \vec p_n##. If they adds up to ##\vec p_A = \vec p_1 + \vec p_2 + ... + \vec p_n##, our result seems to be the same because the right-hand side is invariant.

Ahh sorry, I figured it out just after posting.

The threshold occurs when the products are at relative rest. Therefore, in their rest frame ##P_f = (M,0)## and consequently ##P_f^2 = M^2##.

Likes Lukanol
Thanks!

1. What is conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions?

Conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant in a collision, even when the objects involved are moving at high speeds close to the speed of light.

2. Why is conservation of momentum important in relativistic collisions?

Conservation of momentum is important in relativistic collisions because it allows us to accurately predict the outcomes of these collisions and understand the behavior of particles at high speeds.

3. How is conservation of momentum applied in relativistic collisions?

In relativistic collisions, conservation of momentum is applied by setting the total momentum of the system before the collision equal to the total momentum after the collision. This allows us to solve for the velocities and directions of the objects involved.

4. What are some real-world applications of conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions?

Conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions has many real-world applications, such as in particle accelerators, where it is used to study the behavior of subatomic particles. It is also important in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.

5. Are there any exceptions to conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions?

There are no known exceptions to conservation of momentum on relativistic collisions. However, in extreme cases, such as when particles are moving at speeds very close to the speed of light, slight deviations from perfect conservation may occur due to factors such as energy loss in the form of radiation.