Mechanics of Materials Explanation

In summary, Hibbeler's example in Mechanics of Materials 8th ed. does not make sense. He neglects two forces acting in the positive x-direction, which causes the bar to not accelerate.
jaredogden
I was reading through my mechanics of materials book (Mechanics of Materials 8th ed. R.C. Hibbler) learning about stress and came across example 1.6 pg. 28. while most of the example makes sense the last bit of part b) confused me. I am unsure as to why for Pcd he only showed the 22 kN force acting in both directions but neglected the two 4 kN forces acting in the positive x direction..

If I need to I could further explain the whole problem but if someone happens to have the same book and can explain this to me that would be great. If I need to I can further explain his example I just figured I would try to save time if possible.

I hope this is the right place to post this question, it's not technically a homework question since its just an example in the book.

well thanks for any help ahead of time.Also.. I don't know if I am allowed to do this but I can scan and upload an image of the example problem if needed. Let me know if this is possible as it might help.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I happen to have the seventh edition of Hibbeler's Mechanics of Materials; it sounds like the example hasn't changed.

One issue I have always had with Hibbeler (I've used three of his books) is that he tends to assume you're comfortable enough with previous material to not need it repeated. Sure it's fair for him to think that you understood everything from prerequisite classes, but it would truly help out students if he reminded them of details. Hopping off my soapbox, you might want to review the method of sections (Hibbeler's Statics, section 6.4 in eleventh edition).

For the bar to be in equilibrium and not accelerating, the forces in all directions must be equal. For this example, there are only forces in one direction which I will call the x-direction with negative to the left and positive to the right (adherence to standard protocol). What are the forces in the negative x-direction? (12+9+9)kN = 30 kN. What about in the positive x-direction? (4+4+22)kN = 30 kN. Summing the forces in the x-direction:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]=-30 kN + 30 kN = 0 kN.
So, the forces are equal in all directions which means that there is no acceleration.

Now, look at each load point. -12 kN at point A. -18 kN at point B. +8 kN at point C. +22 kN at point D. Hibbeler shows you the loads and resultant forces on each section in figure 1-16 b. For example, the -12 kN load at point A must be counteracted by +12 kN on the other side of point A (Newton's third law of motion). If we keep moving along the bar to the right (positive x-direction) we encounter two -9 kN forces at point B. So what happens to the right of point B? Well, there must be a force counteracting the forces at A and B for a total of 30 kN (again, Newton's third law). If we keeping moving to the right nothing happens until we get to the next load at point C.

So, what's going on between point B and C? Well, we know that at point B there are a total of 30 kN acting in the negative x-direction. We also have to assume that there are 30 kN acting in the positive x-direction to counteract the load and keep the bar from accelerating (equilibrium).

Wrapping this all up, Hibbeler assumes you realize that to the left of point C you'll see a 30 kN force acting in the negative x-direction. You weren't given a drawing of that because it's assumed to be obvious from your course in Statics. If he had drawn it, it would look a lot like you'd expect it to and something like the attached image.

Attachments

• Example1_6.png
    Example1_6.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 440

If anyone knows my question ans. please ans. it... Q: If a coin having uniform mass is rolled around the ground it will fall after few seconds...My question is how many flips will it take before falling?need a general equation for it... If anyone knows ans. please post

porav05 said:
If anyone knows my question ans. please ans. it... Q: If a coin having uniform mass is rolled around the ground it will fall after few seconds...My question is how many flips will it take before falling?need a general equation for it... If anyone knows ans. please post

Asking an unrelated question in someone else's post is just silly. As is expecting a rolling coin already in contact with the ground to "flip".

porav05 said:

Hello porav05 and welcome to Physics Forums.

Generally, new questions are asked by creating a new thread/topic. To ask a new question, go to the appropriate subject (for Mechanical Engineering questions use https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101") and click on the "New Topic" button located just to above and to the left of the list of threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I figured out my mistake I wasn't putting together that the 30kN force to the left would have the two 4kN forces to the right subtracted from it giving you the 22kN I don't know how I missed that. Thanks so much for the help

1. What is mechanics of materials?

Mechanics of materials is a branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid materials subjected to various types of forces. It is used to analyze the response of materials to external loads, such as tension, compression, bending, and torsion.

2. What are the main concepts in mechanics of materials?

The main concepts in mechanics of materials include stress, strain, elasticity, plasticity, and failure. Stress is the internal force per unit area within a material, while strain is the deformation or change in shape of a material caused by stress. Elasticity refers to a material's ability to return to its original shape after being deformed, while plasticity describes a material's ability to permanently deform without breaking. Failure occurs when a material can no longer withstand the applied forces and breaks.

3. How is stress calculated in mechanics of materials?

Stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

4. What is the difference between tensile and compressive stress?

Tensile stress is a type of stress that results from forces pulling apart on a material, while compressive stress is a type of stress that results from forces pushing together on a material. This means that tensile stress causes a material to stretch or elongate, while compressive stress causes a material to shrink or compress.

5. How does mechanics of materials relate to real-world applications?

Mechanics of materials is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing structures, machines, and products. It is essential in the fields of engineering, construction, manufacturing, and materials science. Understanding the behavior of materials under different types of forces allows for the development of safe and efficient designs for various structures and products.