Understanding Algebraic Solutions for Slider Crank Mechanism Calculations

In summary, Bash is looking for help with a math problem that he is having difficulty with. He has previous qualifications in algebra and calculus, and is looking for books that will help him understand a dynamic balancing of steam engines.
bash1803
TL;DR Summary
Offset Slider Crank Mechanism - a little help required
Hi Guys,
I am currently working on an assignment for my uni. I don't want to post the question right away as I want to try to understand as much of the material as possible; but it seems what they have given me is a bit lacking. As such I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? Their material is purely focused around space diagrams, velocity diagrams and acceleration diagrams; which is fine for the first few questions. What I am struggling with is that there are a few questions which seem to require an algebraic solution, to which they have provided me with no material (these are things like calculating the angle at which the crank is at max velocity, and, the maximum angular velocity of the con rod, etc).

As such, was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to point me in the direction of any material for me to look through to start with? I have a lot of books, but none seem to go into the slider crank mechanism in detail unfortunately. A lot of the things I have dug up on google seem to be very specific.

Thanks in advance,

Bash

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

bash1803 said:
What I am struggling with is that there are a few questions which seem to require an algebraic solution, to which they have provided me with no material (these are things like calculating the angle at which the crank is at max velocity, and, the maximum angular velocity of the con rod, etc).

Do they list the prerequisites for the course, such as algebra or calculus? The language of science and engineering is math. It's pretty hard to get along without it.

anorlunda said:
Welcome to PF.
Do they list the prerequisites for the course, such as algebra or calculus? The language of science and engineering is math. It's pretty hard to get along without it.
They do, and my previous qualifications were taken into consideration. Thye put me on the Analytical Methods module first to see whether I got on ok (there would not be a lot of point continuing if I didn't).
I have dealt with both Algebra and Calculus up to this point and managed to move forward, its just this particular subject that is giving me a headache. Not sure if I am over complicating it or not.

You should look for books that discuss the dynamic balancing of steam engines. Those books will be 100 year old mechanical engineering books written when steam was king, and seals were made from leather.

Likes BvU
I notice you did not include either "geometry" and/or "trigonometry" in your inquiry or your response. So I have to ask if you have been educated in those subjects as well?

JBA said:
I notice you did not include either "geometry" and/or "trigonometry" in your inquiry or your response. So I have to ask if you have been educated in those subjects as well?
I have indeed, and have used both to answer the first part of the question correctly.

Bit difficult to help without writing a complete textbook -- can you narrow it down ? Part of the exercise, or an example of what gives you trouble ?

BvU said:
Bit difficult to help without writing a complete textbook -- can you narrow it down ? Part of the exercise, or an example of what gives you trouble ?
Thank you for your reply. However, someone has done just that funnily enough and sent me a copy for some reference material which is more specific to slider cranks. That us what I was mainly after. If I can't solve it after reading through this, then I will go into specific. Thank you for taking the time though...

Likes BvU

What is an Offset Slider Crank Mechanism?

An offset slider crank mechanism is a mechanical linkage that converts rotary motion into reciprocating motion. It consists of a crank, a slider, and a connecting rod, with the crank and slider offset from each other.

What are the applications of an Offset Slider Crank Mechanism?

Offset slider crank mechanisms are commonly used in engines, such as in automobiles and motorcycles, to convert the rotary motion of the engine into the reciprocating motion of the pistons. They are also used in other machines, such as pumps and compressors, to convert rotary motion into linear motion.

What are the advantages of using an Offset Slider Crank Mechanism?

One advantage of using an offset slider crank mechanism is its simplicity and efficiency. It can convert rotary motion into reciprocating motion with minimal friction and energy loss. Additionally, it allows for a compact design, making it suitable for use in various applications.

What are the limitations of an Offset Slider Crank Mechanism?

One limitation of an offset slider crank mechanism is that it can only convert rotary motion into reciprocating motion in one direction. It also requires precise alignment and synchronization of its components to function properly. Additionally, the offset between the crank and slider can cause uneven wear and tear, leading to potential maintenance issues.

How can the efficiency of an Offset Slider Crank Mechanism be improved?

The efficiency of an offset slider crank mechanism can be improved by reducing friction between its components through proper lubrication and maintenance. Additionally, using lightweight and durable materials can also improve its efficiency. Design modifications, such as increasing the offset or changing the shape of the crank, can also improve its performance.