1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics, Uniform Circular Motion

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flat racetrack viewed from above has curves with radius of 50.0 meters and 100. meters. A car having a mass of 1.00 x 10^3 kilograms moves counterclockwise around the track at a constant speed of 20.0 meters per second. It takes the car 20.0 seconds to travel from C to D.

Radius = 50.0 meters and 100. meters
    Mass = 1.00 x 10^3 kilograms
    Speed = 20.0 m/s
    Time = 20.0 s from C to D

1. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the car while it is moving from A to B?
    2. Calculate the net force acting on the car while it is moving from B to C.
    3. Calculate the distance from C to D.
    4. Compare the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the car while moving from D to A, to the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the car while moving from B to C.
    5. Compare the magnitude of the car's momentum at D to the magnitude of the car's momentum at B.
    6. Compare the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the car at A to the magnitude of the car's centripetal acceleration at A if additional passengers were riding in the car.

2. Relevant equations

2 = {Pie}r / t
    ac = v^2 / r
    Fc = ma{c}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm sorry I just don't understand but I know the equations to use. Ok, but ill attempt to do it at least.
    1. I don't know anything much about net force.
    Would this be the equation? a = Fnet / m
    I'm just really sorry but I only know about centripetal force, average speed and the centripetal acceleration. I dont know about the magnitude of the net force only magnitude of centripetal acceleration.

I would really appreciate it if you can help me. I do understand I should learn this but I wish I knew the equation to use for net force.

Okay I understand 91.
    91. ac = v^2 / r
    ac = (20)^2 / 50
    ac = 8 for D to A

ac = (20)^2 / 100
    ac = 4 for B to C

Is this correct? Thanks I really appreciate this.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Priscilla!
    It is difficult to understand the question without seeing the diagram. Perhaps you could sketch it in a paint program, save the painting to a photo site like photobucket.com and post a link here.

Yes, Fnet or Ftotal is always equal to ma.
    Likely the only force you have on those turns is Fc = mv²/r = ma so your calc is probably correct.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    Okay, here is a diagram for the problem. Thanks a lor!

Attached Files:

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Great, the diagram really helps. Your work so far looks very good.
    I see some of the questions involve no calculations, like #1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook