Torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Sandeep Swarup
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am designing a prototype to remove cutting oil from waste metal chip during Gun Drilling.
My prototype consists of a netted(meshed) metal cylinder rotating horizontally about its axis with help of shaft and a pressurised air blown from above. The metal chips will be put inside netted cylinder which will rotate with help of shaft through motor and oil wil drip down.

The only data I have is amount of metal chip that I will insert in hollow netted cylinder I.e 5kgs
How shall I proceed with calculation to find out required torque, shaft diameter,RPM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a rough drawing of the arrangement?
 
AZFIREBALL said:
Can you provide a rough drawing of the arrangement?
AZFIREBALL said:
Can you provide a rough drawing of the arrangement?
 
Attachments
What does the pressurized air do again?
Quite a good blast would be needed to blow the oil off the chips if that is the intent.
 
Don’t know how much torque you’ll need, but I can tell you that the requirement will be significantly reduced by supporting the central rod at its free end. This would also reduce wear on the motor.

Also, since a lot of the resistance to rotation will come from the oily metal chips sticking together and trying to ride up the side of the mesh, having your air flow come up from underneath, at an angle opposite to the direction of rotation, will also help reduce rolling resistance, while drying the chips more quickly. It would tend to break up the clumps and expose more surface area.