1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mediocre undergrad vs. stellar graduate GPA

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    I have a mediocre (by my standards) GPA of 3.34 in the undergraduate math program. However, my graduate cumulative GPA in mathematics is very good at 3.96. I have one semester before I graduate with an MS in mathematics. I'm applying to Phd programs at Kent State University and Ohio State University, but I've never taken the GRE. Do I have a good chance to get in, or should I apply to more schools? Should I take the GRE in the spring? Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    imo you can apply to a lot more (and better) schools if you want to get out of that wasteland known as ohio :P

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3
    Yeah I live in Ohio. I agree, it is a wasteland and Cleveland is a foreclosure hell. But I have cheap rent and I don't know if the stipend amount for Phd graduate assistants will outweigh the expense. What do you think?

5. Dec 20, 2011 #4
    try Pitt, the program / department is great, and cost of living is very reasonable. and you should apply to CMU too, i don't think it can hurt.

6. Dec 20, 2011 #5
    Thanks, I will.

7. Dec 20, 2011 #6
    np :P

your grad gpa is very high, so hopefully you will get into some great phd programs :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook