Meeting of two bodies (cinematic)

• Thread starter A13235378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bodies
In summary, the two pieces of furniture, A and B, pass by each other at a certain point in time. It is known that the speed of B in relation to that of A has a certain value. I was able to find the acceleration of B by solving for Vb,a.
A13235378
Homework Statement
Two pieces of furniture, A and B, run along the same line, in the same direction, in such a way that,
instant 𝑡 = 0.00 𝑠 the distance between them is 10.0 𝑚. The graphs of your speeds are
shown in the figure. It is known that the furniture passes by each other in a certain moment 𝑡𝐸> 0, where the speed of B in relation to that of A has a certain value 𝑣𝐵𝐴. We can conclude that:
Relevant Equations
V=Vo+at
S=So+vt+at^2/2
1610448404211.png

First, I calculated the acceleration of A by the slope:

-0.5m / s ^ 2

in t=4/s

V=Vo+at (To bodie A)
V=4-4.0,5
V=2m/s

With that, I was able to find the acceleration of B:

0,5m/s^2SA= 10 +4t - t^2/4
SB= t^2/4

I equaled the two, finding t = 10s

so, Va=-1m/s and Vb = 5m/s --> Vb,a = 6 m/s

BUT...

it's a matter of multiple choice and the answer is:

The problem as proposed has no solution.Why?

I know that I assumed that body A would be 10 m ahead, because only then would there be a solution to the second degree equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

Could you read the problem statement as posted
A13235378 said:
Homework Statement:: Two pieces of furniture, A and B, run along the same line, in the same direction, in such a way that,
instant 𝑡 = 0.00 𝑠 the distance between them is 10.0 𝑚. The graphs of your speeds are
shown in the figure. It is known that the furniture passes by each other in a certain moment 𝑡𝐸> 0, in the what the speed of B in relation to that of A has a certain value 𝑣𝐵𝐴. We can conclude that:
Relevant Equations:: V=Vo+at
S=So+vt+at^2/2
and fix the mistakes ?

Likes Steve4Physics
A13235378 said:
Homework Statement:: Two pieces of furniture, A and B, run along the same line, in the same direction, in such a way that,
shown in the figure. It is known that the furniture passes by each other in a certain moment 𝑡𝐸> 0, where the speed of B in relation to that of A has a certain value 𝑣𝐵𝐴. We can conclude that:
What you have written is hard to follow. I’m guessing that English is not your first language. But the problems are not entirely language related. It will help if you check your post carefully. For example:

1. If the question uses a certain symbol, you should use the same symbol in your working (e.g. ##t_E##).

2. Using a comma as a ‘decimal separator’ can be confusing. The convention in most English-speaking countries is to use a full-stop (‘point’). So ½ is written as 0.5 not 0,5 for example.
Take a look at this:https://brilliantmaps.com/decimals/
Since this is an English-speaking forum, you might prefer to write (for example):
V = 4 – 4*0.5
rather than
V=4-4.0,5

3. Spelling mistakes indicate that you haven’t checked what you are posting. E.g. ‘cinematic’ should be ‘kinematics’ and ‘bodie’ should be ‘body’.

4. Check what you have written makes sense. E.g. ‘in t=4/s’ means nothing. Maybe you mean ‘When t=4s’.

5. You haven’t actually stated the question! But, from your working, I’d guess the question is to find ##V_{BA}## (velocity of B relative to A) at time ##t=t_E##.

6. You haven’t given the list of the alternative answers. Mistakes can happen - an answer indicated as ‘correct’ might be wrong. So it helps to see the full list.

7. If you can learn how to use simple Latex to format equations, your post would be more readable.

There are probably other improvements but the above are the ones I easily spotted.

If you can improve your post so it’s easy to read/understand, I’m sure you will get some help.

Likes A13235378 and BvU
A13235378 said:
SA= 10 +4t - t^2/4
SB= t^2/4

I equaled the two, finding t = 10s
The time can’t be 10s because the graph finishes at 8s. You don't know what happens after 8s.

You have incorrectly used signs/sign-conventions. You have to get the signs of velocity and acceleration correct according to whether an object is moving right (+x) or left (-x).

Remember a negative acceleration means the *direction* of acceleration is negative. This can result in speeding-up or slowing-down.

Let's say:

A starts at ##x_0## = 0m with u = 4m/s and a = -0.5##m/s^2##
That means A is initially moving right. Because acceleration is negative (to the left), the speed reduces while A moves to the right.
At time t: ##x_A = x_0 + ut + ½at^2 = 0 + 4t + ½(-0.5)t^2##
##x_A = 4t - 0.25t^2##

B starts at ##x_0## = 10m with u = 0m/s and a = -0.5##m/s²##.
That means B is initially stationary but because acceleration is negative, B moves left with increasing speed.
At time t: ##x_B = x_0 + ut + ½at^2 = 10 + 0t + ½(-0.25)t^2##
##x_B = 10 - 0.25t^2##

When A and B meet at time ##t_E## then ##x_A=x_B##
##4t_E - 0.25t_E^2 = 10 – 0.25t_E^2##
##t_E = 10/4 = 2.5m/s##

Note the '##½at^2##’ terms have cancelled. That's because both objects have the same (negative) acceleration: the speed of approach between A and B is always 4m/s. It's an easy relative velocity problem, the quick way to find ##t_E## is to use:
##t_E = \frac {initial-separation}{speed-of-approach} = \frac{10m}{4m/s}##

##V_{BA}## can then be found (assuming that is the question!).

[Edited several times to correct typo's]

Last edited:
Likes A13235378
My answer in post #4 is wrong. I thought A and B were moving in opposite directions but the question says they are moving in the *same* direction.

So the correct working is:

A starts at ##x_0## = 0m with u = 4m/s and a = -0.5##m/s^2##
##x_A = x_0 + ut + ½at^2 = 0 + 4t + ½(-0.5)t^2##
##x_A = 4t - 0.25t^2##

B starts at ##x_0## = 10m with u = 0m/s and a = 0.5##m/s²##.
##x_B = x_0 + ut + ½at^2 = 10 + 0t + ½(0.5)t^2##
##x_B = 10 + 0.25t^2##

When A and B meet at time ##t_E## then ##x_A=x_B##
##4t_E - 0.25t_E^2 = 10 + 0.25t_E^2##
##0.5t_E^2 – 4t_E + 10 = 0##
##t_E^2 – 8t_E + 20 = 0##
This has no (real) solution so A never catches up to B.

It goes to show how important it is to read the question properly. Desculpas pela confusão!

Steve4Physics said:
So the correct working is:
Please remember that the student must do the bulk of the work on the problem. They should be the one writing out those equations...

berkeman said:
Please remember that the student must do the bulk of the work on the problem. They should be the one writing out those equations...
Agreed, thanks. I need to be more sef-discipined.

• Informative
Likes BvU and berkeman

1. What is a "Meeting of two bodies" in cinematic terms?

A "Meeting of two bodies" in cinematic terms refers to a scene or sequence in a film where two characters come together in a significant way. This can be a romantic encounter, a confrontation, or a moment of connection between two individuals.

2. How does a "Meeting of two bodies" enhance a film?

A "Meeting of two bodies" can enhance a film by adding depth and emotion to the story. It allows for character development, builds relationships between characters, and can create tension or resolution in the plot.

3. Is a "Meeting of two bodies" limited to just two characters?

No, a "Meeting of two bodies" can involve more than two characters. It can also refer to a group of characters coming together in a significant way, such as a family reunion or a team meeting.

4. Can a "Meeting of two bodies" have different meanings in different films?

Yes, the meaning of a "Meeting of two bodies" can vary depending on the context of the film and the characters involved. It can symbolize different themes or emotions, such as love, conflict, or unity.

5. Is a "Meeting of two bodies" a common trope in cinema?

Yes, a "Meeting of two bodies" is a common trope in cinema as it allows for impactful and memorable moments in a film. It can be found in various genres and has been used in films throughout history.